Early Action / Decision Help

<p>I'm currently thinking about applying early (mix of parent pressure and for myself also). I was wondering if any of you guys would be willing to help me in this journey...</p>

<p>I attend Glenbrook North Highschool
Stats:
WGPA: Currently 3.6+ (Frosh / Soph years really bummed me out) Since I'm applying early, Senior year 1st semester doesn't really matter I guess o.o)
Frosh year: 1 Honors class
Soph year: 1 Honors 1 AP classes
Junior year: 1 AP 2 Honors classes
Senior year: 4 APs</p>

<p>ACT: 30 (Taking my last one this Sept. 16)
SAT: 790M / 620W / 560CR (I forget what my CR is...I don't have the sheet with me right now...I just remember my total score was sub 2k.)</p>

<p>(I'd also appreciate if the school takes either ACT or SAT or only ACT (Not very happy with my SAT score)</p>

<p>ECs: 2 Years of Bard Book Club - Program Director (Community service)
2 Years of Interact (Community service)
2 Years of Debate (4th Place Speaker my 1st year)
2 Years of Soccer
2 Years of Volleyball
2 Years of Write Place Staff (Chair) (This is a place at GBN for all students to come and get help on writing)</p>

<p>I'm looking to get into Pre-Med as an undergrad. As for preferences...
Size: I'd like a small to medium-sized School (Public or Private doesn't matter to me) Small LAC's are fine too.
Campus: This is something I'm not too good with...What types are out there? o.o
Prestige: I personally don't care too much about prestige...as long as I get a good education.</p>

<p>Um....if there are other things I need to post here just say it and I'll edit it / reply to it I guess.</p>

<p>Thanks in advance. ^^</p>

<p>I was thinking of doing early decision because I thought that I would have better chances of getting in. but if you are not getting a full scholarship dont apply early decision becasue you should see how much you will have to pay for other schools. DOnt commit before you find out how much.</p>

<p>That makes sense. I'll just have to go researching cost for each school before applying for early decision. I guess out of the schools I decide to apply for early action, I'll choose the one that is a semi-reach that I know I can afford for early decision. :O</p>

<p>asdfghjkl;</p>

<p>Have you tried a college search site like <a href="http://www.petersons.com?%5B/url%5D"&gt;www.petersons.com?&lt;/a> You can input your stats and other preferences and get a list.</p>

<p>There is only one school I know of that doesn't accept the ACT -- Harvey Mudd.</p>

<p>I'll give that a try</p>

<p>It's not returning what I'm looking for...any other suggestions?</p>

<p>Perhaps you need to change your inputs. What are you using? Given what you said in your first post, it would seem you would get plenty of hits. Lots of schools have the basic courses one needs as a premed student and it didn't seem you were that picky about size and the like.</p>

<p>There are other search engines, like at <a href="http://www.collegeboard.com%5B/url%5D"&gt;www.collegeboard.com&lt;/a>. It may work better for you. But I would first play around a bit with your search terms. You may be inadvertently cutting out acceptable schools. What are you putting down for major, for instance?</p>

<p>Pre-med and related?</p>

<p>There are some other things I might be related such as Computer Sci / Psychology and they don't seem to return favorable schools.</p>

<p>Well, premed isn't a major. That could be your problem right there. Were you using that as a keyword search or something? You need an actual major.</p>

<p>Hit the blue "start your search" button." Then in the next screen you can say what screening areas you are interested in. Perhaps starting out you want to specify size, selectivity, and major. You hit those and will be prompted for your criteria. About every school out there has biology and maybe more specialized biology-related majors; you should get quite a few schools.</p>

<p>What schools have you visited, and what did you like and dislike about them?</p>

<p>What does your HS college counselor recommend? GBN is one of the best schools in the area - their advising should be top notch, much better than an online search engine.</p>

<p>I guess I'd be majoring in Biology...</p>

<p>As for MCATs I'll just have to find other minors to prepare for it...right?</p>

<p>I told my counselor I'm interested in...
U of I Urbana Champagne
U of Wisconsin Madison
U of Michigan Ann Arbor (though I probably wouldn't get in at this school o.o)</p>

<p>I believe she suggested Butler University / Lake Forest College / Augustana College in Rock Island / and maybe a few others...</p>

<p>What do you guys think?</p>

<p>Have you looked at any smaller LACs in Ohio? I'm thinking of Denison or Wooster? You might have a shot at merit money at them, they are both generous. Here's a description I put on CC for Denison. (My son goes there and he loves it.) If you do a search for Wooster you'll find lots of kids like that too.
<a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/showthread.php?t=159719%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/showthread.php?t=159719&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Thank you Weenie I'll definately look into Denison / Wooster</p>

<p>In the meantime, I just talked to my college coordinator and need help separating the recommended schools in terms of size / location / safety | match | reach / campus type / whether they accept EA | ED / etc.</p>

<p>In addition to U of I Champaign / U of Wisconsin Madison / U of Michigan Ann Arbor he said...</p>

<p>Lake Forest College
Augustana College (in Rock Island, IL)
Butler University
Texas University University
University of Denver
Drake University
University of Tampa
University of Miami
University of Iowa
University of Indiana
Hope College
University of Colorado at Boulder</p>

<p>bump bump bump</p>

<p>Go to each of the schools' websites and do a little research for yourself. The schools are not shy; they put the information right out there.</p>

<p>Well I can't get information like safety / match / reach and such.</p>

<p>I guess I can look up size / location / campus type myself</p>

<p>Try the College Quick Finder on the College Board web site. It will give you a nice summary of size, majors, test scores, etc. </p>

<p>Here's my quick 2 cents' worth:</p>

<p>U of I Champaign - match
U of Wisconsin Madison - reach (apply early)
U of Michigan Ann Arbor - reach (apply early)</p>

<p>Lake Forest College - match
Augustana College (in Rock Island, IL) safe match
Butler University-safe match
Texas University University - don't know
University of Denver - don't know
Drake University - safe match
University of Tampa - don't know
University of Miami- don't know
University of Iowa - safe match
University of Indiana- match
Hope College - don't know