expected family contribution

<p>The Columbia financial aid application has a spot for how much we think we can afford a year. What should I put? Obviously, I'm not asking for a number, but is it what could we easily afford, or what we could scrimp to afford, or does it not really matter at all?</p>

<p>The EFC amount is USUALLY the amount of money that the parents would feel COMFORTABLE paying.</p>

<p>I personally think that this is another way for Columbia to know what your family deem as a "reasonable" college price for itself. The amount of money put down on the lin varies from family incomes and other factors.</p>

<p>Also, the amount you put varies from the amount they decide you'll pay.</p>

<p>Yeah, that's what I figured.</p>

<p>When a college asks how much you can pay, I'd go with a lower number. They'll base the amount you should pay on their EFC calculation anyway.</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>Actually, the EFC is the amount calculated by the University that they expect the family to pay. The EFC can be quite UNcomfortable for many families. For instance, a family with high income/high expenses but few assets may find the EFC far beyond what they can pay from current income; with low savings, loans for the EFC are the only option.</p>

<p>Does Columbia take financial need into account for their admissions decisions?</p>

<p>No, it's need-blind</p>

<p>Roger Dooley, maybe there should be a message board for soon-to-be college students on the subject of getting a good job to pay for college? Just a thought, I don't know how necessary it is, but I think it might be good.</p>

<p>My mistake everyone, I meant to say how much "parents feel that they can contribute" is the amount of money that the parents would feel COMFORTABLE paying, not EFC. The EFC, like Roger_Dooley said, is from a combination of mathematical calculations and etc.</p>

<p>I got to double-check my posts more often.</p>

<p>"No, it's need-blind"
Haha, or so they say...how will we ever know?</p>