Friend wants to be a judge. What's a good undergrad school and what are some HS ECs?

<p>Hi, my friend wants to be a judge and he's not sure of what good colleges there are out there for a law undergrad. Also, what high school ECs should he do? Anything he should know about his career choice?</p>

<p>There is no pre-law undergraduate program. You can major in anything and go on to law school. "Judge" covers a lot of ground- you can be a Justice of the Peace or aspire to the federal bench or Supreme Court. Politics can play a huge part. As for high school ECs- maybe running for an office or sitting on a disciplinary committee. Debate? Embezzlement?</p>

<p>What little info I have is that 6 of the current 8 Supreme Court Justices attend Harvard Law, 1 at Yale Law, and 1 at Stanford Law. However, all came from varying undergraduate backgrounds (political science, English, philosophy, economics, and history) and attend various schools, for instance Clarence Thomas went to Holy Cross, lol, that explains a lot :);):)!</p>

<p>^Holy crap.</p>

<p>There are thousands of judges in the U.S. and they went to all sorts of colleges and law schools. Becoming a lawyer has very little to do with your specific undergrad major and lots to do with a decent GPA and LSAT score. And becoming a judge has lots to do not just with law school performance but with the connections one makes. Some judges are elected, others appointed; there are all kinds of judges at the municipal, county, state, and national levels. Some judges are brilliant, others have great political skills, and some are just lucky to be judges because circumstances worked out right. I think hgih school is a bit learly to think about it, but one thing to keep in mind is the need for a very clean personal record (no DWI, etc.).</p>

<p>if you want to be a judge, become a good lawyer. Though going to a great law school is important to being a lawyer, becomming a judge seems to be an exception. For judges, the most important factor is prior experience as a lawyer. The average age for the typical judge has to be around 40 or 50 ... experience counts. </p>

<p>I'd have to say do well in college and law school ... but you wont be selected to be a judge without at least 10-15 years of experience under your belt. I'm currently doing an internship with a judge in Buffalo - though she graduated from law school in 1980, this is only her second year as a judge (if it helps, she did undergrad work at UConn in history and sociology, MA and PhD in sociology at Cornell, then JD at SUNY Buffalo).</p>

<p>As far as high school ECs go, see if the local high school has a mock trial program. It can be a great way to become exposed to various areas of law as a high school student.</p>

<p>Stay away from getting jailed for any relatively minor youthful mistakes in HS and college. That might include pranks, protests, and drinking/substance abuse tickets.</p>