GVSU, Oakland, MTU, or MSU?

<p>Honestly, I have little to no intention of attending MSU(I've already been accepted, on-site admissions was free)-I was too late to get into the Lyman Briggs College. I guess I might attend if I have a chance at the ADS scholarship(full-ride), maybe. Anyway, it's between GVSU, Oakland, and MTU. I like MTU because of its egineering programs and relatively small size but I'm not quite positive that I'll be going into engineering. I'm almost positive that I would get a full-ride to GVSU, and it's not a bad school either. I'd say that it's at least as good as MSU excluding the Honor's College and LBM. Oakland's not a bad school either-there's definitely things to do there. </p>

<p>So between these four schools which would be the best colleges to attend and why? Also, I was considering UMICH but I'm told that prestige means very little; you're learning the same thing just about anywhere as long as you attend a decent school, right?</p>

<p>Michigan would probably be a better environment for you.</p>

<p>I don't know. UMICH is a pretty good school, but I'm beginning to doubt my ability to get in. I should...if I do I'll most likely attend. Still, GVSU is looking like a pretty good college. If I don't get into UMICH I'll probably attend GVSU over UMICH.</p>

<p>DaRareBlackNerd I'm kind of confused, I thought you ruled out MSU b/c you didn't get in Lyman Briggs. Nevertheless, I'd seriously disagree with you that GVSU can deliver the same quality educational experience as MSU. The faculty, facilities, diversity and quality of students and atmosphere at MSU is far superior, whether you’re in Lyman Briggs, the Honors College or most any other program ... That's not say you can't get a good education at GVSU. But you're not getting MSU.</p>

<p>Have you checked out the average annual snowfall and winter temps at MTU? Not for the faint of heart. MSU has a much bigger name than GVSU--outside of Michigan nobody has heard of GVSU. Even IN Michigan a lot of people don't know GVSU.</p>

<p>MTU's a fine engineering school, but I'm not certain how comfortable envirnment it is for African American students up there in the isolated U.P. I've never met any who have attended.</p>

<p>I spent a weekend at GVSU with my D. for a volleyball tournament. The campus is newer with very nice facilities, but there is absolutely nothing in the area for kids to do. Apparently, the drinking/party culture is big for lack of other activities. The school is located in Allerton, a solid 20+ minute drive to Grand Rapids. If I was a student there, I'd want to have a car to avoid feeling claustrophobic. Also, check into the suitcase factor as local kids going home on weekends is common I was told.</p>

<p>TourGuide is right about the climate of the UP. My BIL is a Michigan Tech grad and said it's virtually winter the entire school year. Houghton is one of the most northern locations of the UP. However, if you're into outdoor winter recreation like skiing, ice fishing, snowmobiling, hockey, etc., it's great for that. Two of S's African-American classmates headed to the UP for school, one is at MTU and the other at NMU. Both are reportedly having very good college experiences. </p>

<p>Oakland U is on the rise and becoming a popular choice, and there's certainly plenty to do in the greater metro area if you have access to transportation. Again, the commuter factor should be explored as it still draws many kids from the local area.</p>

<p>Quincy4, honestly, I'm confused too. Very confused. I guess I can give MSU a try if it's really that much better than GVSU. I'm probably going to be a Nutrition major and MSU's program is supposedly one of the best in the country. I wanted to get into Lyman Briggs but I'm pretty sure that it's full now...isn't it?</p>

<p>If you might appear a little different, dont do this school. I had some problems because I disclosed too much information about a disability. I was invited to disclose this information by passing out a flyer developed by the school to deliver to every professor. I was impressed by the program until I realized that I harmed my ability to graduate with such disclosure. </p>

<p>Eventaully, I was asked some probing questions from professors before I understood my rights to privacy. The more information I provided, the more some grew upset. I was approached downtown by someone I just dont know and this person disclosed alot of personal information I had submitted to the school; he aggressively told me to leave. </p>

<p>When I transferred, I found that the courses were just not respected. A counselor from Wayne State University explained to me that they did not respect the school and they shared several discrimination stories. Other schools in Eastern Michigan had let me know that they could transfer my credits but, beyond general ed's, they wont apply towards a program. </p>

<p>It was a disaster, but I learned a great deal about discrimination.</p>