Help for Sister, How Hard is it to Switch into History Major?

<p>My sister is a transfer student History major and she knows that its impacted at UCLA....her gpa is not that great but she has all the prerequisites for the History major and her IGETC is complete..along with 60 units.</p>

<p>She wants to apply for Fall 2011 and because History is so impacted I suggested that maybe she should apply as a less impacted major and then switch into it.</p>

<p>Is switching into History even possible?</p>

<p>I dunno. I didnt think it was that hard to get in with history. I got in and I am not that great of a student. Tell her to go to a CC with a easy reputation to inflate her gpa and do some history related stuff outside of school. Maybe a civil war re enactment or two and talk about it in her personal statement.</p>

<p>history isn't impacted . . . </p>

<p>impacted majors include:
- ____ engineering
- communications
- english - creative writing option
- business economics/accounting </p>

<p>um and some others</p>

<p>^^^ yes, it technically is, although it has a higher acceptance rate than some of the other majors. </p>

<p>Still, it's pretty easy to get in. Tell her to switch into something like Iranian-Studies or maybe Anthro (not sure the acceptance rates there, but I <em>think</em> they are higher than history). Then she can try to switch at orientation or just start taking upper-division history classes and later switch into the major. No biggie. I know at least one person who did this.</p>

<p>There are no "impacted" majors at UCLA. There is only a small number of majors with an extra set of requirements and/or admission standards (for transfers). </p>

<p>The History B.A. is only sub-scripted with a "2" on the list of College and Letter and Sciences majors, which means

[quote]
2. Applicants are admitted to pre-major status until prerequisites are satisfactorily completed.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>It is not sub-scripted with a 1.

[quote]
1. Transfer applicants should note that demand for this major significantly exceeds space available at the transfer level.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Majors</a> - College of Letters & Science - UCLA Undergraduate Admissions</p>

<p>thank you so much for the replies, Go Bruins!!!! </p>

<p>i love Bruins for life. ♥</p>