How do you balance the wheel of act of early admissions?

<p>Assume that I would like to apply for some selective schools as an early bird candidate. For example, I am looking into Rice, Emory, Yale, Duke etc. I have applied for them as early bird. If they were to extend invitations, they want me to secure the deposit with non-refundable fee. Should I spend like $1000 for each school and then forfeit it?</p>

<p>Qns:</p>

<p>1) What should I do if I were to apply for some 10 schools as early bird?
2) How do I balance the wheel of act for some of the BS/MD programs who makes their decisions by end of April?</p>

<p>I am so confused.</p>

<p>My sense is that you need to educate yourself regarding early decision, early action, early admission and regular admission. Pick one or two of the colleges on your list and Google -- as for example "Yale early action" etc. No need to be confused.</p>

<p>
[quote]
My sense is that you need to educate yourself regarding early decision, early action, early admission and regular admission.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Fogcity is absolutely right. "Early bird" has many rules and they are called early decision, single choice early action, early action etc. In fact the term "early bird" is generally not used. </p>

<p>If you apply to Yale in the early cycle, you cannot apply to any other school in that cycle but can apply regular action (regular decision) etc.. and they call it single choice early action.</p>

<p>If you apply to Duke early decision and they admit you, you have to accept it (and if you apply to Duke early decision, you cannot apply any where else early decision).</p>

<p>So understand these terms that fogcity has suggested (add restrictive/single choice early action to the list) and find out what early choices the colleges you are looking at have. It would be very difficult to apply 10 schools "early bird", especially the ones who are looking at will not allow you to do that. I have (as have many others) posted these definitions in CC and you can start there or look at Google.</p>

<p>Here are the rules that I had posted in a different forum</p>

<p>OK, here are the rules:</p>

<p>Early Decision (ED): If you apply to a school with ED, you cannot apply to any other school with Early Decision. You can however apply to a school with early action (EA) expect if that school with early action has restrictions i.e. Yale and Stanford. If you get admitted to a ED school, you are bound to join the ED school (there are few exceptions for financial reasons, but if you are not sure you should not be applying ED anyway.) The obvious reason why you cannot apply to 2 ED schools is that if you get accepted by both, you are expected to attend both, which is not possible.</p>

<p>Some schools Like Carnegie Mellon, Harvey Mudd etc. have two Early Decisions ED I and ED II, with different deadlines. So you could apply to say Dartmouth which has ED (just one) and if you get rejected, you could be apply for ED II at CMU, as the deadline for ED II is after the results come from Dartmouth. Most schools with ED just have one deadline.</p>

<p>Early Action (EA) is non binding, you do not have to accept the offer. So you can apply to one ED school and several EA schools without a problem, unless the EA schools are Yale and Stanford. Yale has Single Choice Early Action and Stanford has Restricted Early Action. Some of the top non restrictive EA schools are Caltech, MIT and Chicago where you can apply to all three of them EA without a problem.</p>

<p>Yale and Stanford expect to you to apply to only them EA ( you cannot apply to any other school either ED or EA).</p>

<p>Here are the rules for Stanford's REA. Yale's should be similar.</p>

<p>Facts About Stanford’s Restrictive Early Action Program</p>

<p>** Stanford’s Restrictive Early Action program is a program for students who know, at the time of application, that Stanford is their first choice – and not a program that should be used as a strategy for admission. This is the design of a Restrictive Early Action program versus a more open Early Action admission program offered at other institutions.
* Because a student's financial aid offer is often a critical factor in making a final college choice, Stanford's Restrictive Early Action program provides time for families to consider financial aid awards from multiple schools before making a final commitment to enroll.
* Applicants agree not to apply to any other school under an Early Action, Restrictive Early Action, Early Decision, or Early Notification program.
* Applicants are allowed to apply for Regular Decision admission at any number of other colleges and universities.*</p>

<p>Based on the List you made</p>

<p>Rice-Early Decision-Can only do 1 college-Have to go if accepted</p>

<p>Emory-Early Decision-Can only do 1 college-Have to go if accepted</p>

<p>Yale-Single-Choice Early Action-Can only do 1 college-Don't have to go if accepted</p>

<p>Duke-Early Decision-Can only do 1 college-Have to go if accepted</p>

<p>So your current choices won't work. If you'd like to apply early to many schools you need non-restrictive EA. For example, I'll be applying to UIUC/University of Chicago/MIT/Caltech all early action. Which means I can do as many EA as I want and I'm not bound to any of these schools.</p>

<p>satacer: If you are applying for BS/MD colleges and the decision is going to come out only in April, you cannot apply Early Decision to Rice, Emory or Duke, unless you are willing to take the chance that if you get in, you will give up your BS/MD option and join the college that you have applied (note you can apply to only one of those three in the early cycle).</p>

<p>If you apply to Yale, you cannot apply to any other college in the early cycle.</p>

<p>How good are your stats? Are you competitive in those schools? What is financial aid situation? You are talking about deposits, which is putting the cart before the horse. First decide your strategy and then everything will fall into place. Your strategy is to decide if you want to do ED, or REA/SCEA or ED + EA or just EA. Then you need to choose the schools that fit your strategy (there is some amount of iteration between the school choice and strategy). Again your strategy depends on your profile.</p>

<p>Thank you so much for all of you to educate me. I really appreciate it.</p>