How important are clubs to Berkeley?

<p>Basically what the title says. I don't have any cabinet positions for any clubs.</p>

<p>Berkeley uses a holistic approach. Your whole app is important. No clubs is fine as long as the other parts of your app are good. Also it is a public school which usually is more number based.</p>

<p>My son got in this year without joining any club at all in high school. But he had high gpa/test score and played multiple sports.</p>

<p>The other parts of my application won't be too good either.</p>

<p>I don't play and sports or instrument (I have 0 interest in them).</p>

<p>My UC GPA (Soph. + Junior) is alright (>4.15) but my Fresh. GPA is below 3.0. I'm not sure if Berkley takes that into consideration even though they don't use it in their calculation.</p>

<p>I have only taken 1 AP class at school (but a lot more tests and 6 more classes next year).</p>

<p>I don't have a good rank.</p>

<p>I have somewhat good SAT score (2100, with 1420 as my highest CR + M).</p>

<p>Now that you know those....</p>

<p>But it's a slight confidence boost knowing that your son got in without clubs.</p>

<p>Your freshman grades do not count at all. The UCs don't really use a holistic approach; yes, they look at everything on your application but none of it matters nearly as much as your grades. An incredible extracurricular record isn't as likely to offset mediocre grades as it will at colleges that use truly holistic approaches to admissions. If you have the grades (and it looks like you do), I would not worry about not having officer positions in clubs.</p>

<p>I'd strongly advise pursuing some form of extracurricular activity that you're interested in. This is because due to the huge volume of talented applicants, Berkeley can't just rely on numbers alone when making decisions. You should endeavor to stand out in some way.</p>

<p>Also, if you find an EC that you're truly interested in and love, you'll be indirectly enhancing your resume while simultaneously improving the quality of your life (and that's never a bad thing).</p>