How much does the SAT 2 Math II offset a SAT 1 performance?

<p>So i took the SAT 1 and got a 680 in math and i wasn't happy with it but i'm not sure if i want to take the test again especially cause i'm happy with with my writing and reading scores. I took the Math II subject tests and i'm proud to say i got a 790. Would that offset a lower math score on the regular SATs? or should i retake the SAT 1 in hopes of upping my math score there?</p>

<p>It might, to an extent. However, the tests measure different things (one is an aptitude test, whereas the other is an achievement test). A combination of good grades in math and your Subject Test will go a ways in mitigating any worries that your SAT Reasoning score creates.</p>

<p>i am not sure i get the difference between aptitude and achievement. Shouldn't my "achievement" on the Math II-arguably more advanced math- speak to greater aptitude than a score on the SAT 1 math section?</p>

<p>Math Level 2 does test more advanced math, but it's relatively straightforward; its purpose is to assess your accumulated skills. The Reasoning test is designed to give more students (even those who have not gotten to pre-calculus) the opportunity to show their potential.</p>

<p>so wouldn't a good score on Math II demonstrate understanding of math beyond that of the regular SAT?</p>

<p>^ Yes, but the regular SAT is more difficult.</p>

<p>Top colleges are not looking for aptitude, they are looking for studnts with high test scores. Unfortunately US News rankings make every score important to them. A high ll score will not compensate.</p>

<p>Read some college books to see how colleges often have indexes, they plug in your numbers to arrive at one for you. SATl scores are key.</p>

<p>I thought the Math II was supposed to be the harder/more advanced math, hence including precalc.
however what i am supposed to get from this is that the SAT1 is more important and that Math II is sort of extra icing on the cake?</p>

<p>In general, the SAT Reasoning test is more important. </p>

<p>
[quote]
I thought the Math II was supposed to be the harder/more advanced math, hence including precalc.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>The Subject Tests, typically, are more advanced but easier.</p>

<p>The idea behind the regular SAT (at least originally) was that it was a test that couldn't be studied for- it's to measure your aptitude. Of course that's ridiculous, but it is a lot harder to study for than the SAT IIs. In contrast, the subject material for the SAT IIs is harder, but you can study effectively and pass them. The SAT IIs measure where you are in your coursework and/or how hard you can study, while the SAT I measures more of your reasoning and your background in math, not how much you crammed. Since the two tests measure things that are very different, they're not really substitutable; and since most colleges don't need the SAT IIs to determine whether you'll be accepted enough- the SAT I is quite enough for them- and your 'aptitude', your math background, and your reasoning skills tend to be more important to a college, the SAT I tends to carry more weight.</p>