How Would A Few C's affect my chance at an IVY?

<p>Lets say I had 9 subjects during my sophmore year.</p>

<p>Math- C
French- B
History/Geography- C
Social Studies - A+
English - A+
Civics - A
Gym- A
Phsyics- C
Biology - C
Economics - B</p>

<p>And then during Junior year I have straight A's and take community college courses?</p>

<p>bump can anyone give me any info plz</p>

<p>It really all depends on a variety of factors...you can never say with certainty how Ivy adcoms will look at different applicants. Generally, though, that many C's obviously doesn't look good unless you have reasons for why your grades are that low (i.e. family problems, etc).</p>

<p>yea it is because of family problems</p>

<p>9 courses in soph. yr. Isn't 6 maybe 7 usually the maximum?</p>

<p>I am an american who was doing a french program, all those subjects were in french except English and Social Studies.</p>

<p>Those C's are definitely going to hurt you. Sorry...
But the bright side is that there are plenty of great colleges who will be much more forgiving of C's, as long as you've shown improvement and have other things to counteract the grades.</p>

<p>would me being a URM help? those grades are from me (an american) being inside a french system. It was a french highschool so everything I learned was in another language.</p>

<p>gee, how would any high schools kids on this forum know the answer to your question?</p>

<p>i have no idea lol im just putting the quesiton out there and seeing the responses i get back</p>

<p>bump and more comments?</p>

<p>In the admissions process, grades, class rank and rigor of the curriculum are considered most important in the admissions process (and are even placed before scores) because the best predictor of future behavior is relevant past behavior.</p>

<p>while many schools will wink at your freshman grades, they expect to see an upward trend, soph, jr, and senior years. </p>

<p>Just looking at your grades (unweighted and without gym which is never calculated into your GPA) you have approximately 3.15 (B). This grade will be low for any competitive school </p>

<p>You are looking for an advantage as a URM, but understand this even as a URM, there will be other candidates who will bring stronger GPAs to the table</p>

<p>The net-net is this, all of the URM hooks in the world will not get you in without stellar grades. Since you have time, work really hard to show an upward trend and get the best grades possible.</p>

<p>My freshmen year grades were good. Would they take into consideration the fact that I was an american at a french school? And also, if during my junior and senior year I took courses at a community college (taking 5 now) and also doing research ?</p>

<p>Why do you WANT an Ivy? Is there anything particular at any one of them that you couldn't find elsewhere? (that's not meant to be a rhetorical question). Remember, it's just an athletic association among schools, many of which have large numbers of TAs, large classes, indifferent to poor study abroad opportunities, and, in some, famous professors who don't teach undergraduates. There's also plenty of good things about them, too - but do you know what they are?</p>

<p>Yes I know what they are I was just questioning my ability to attend Ivy Schools. I am also interested in University of Chicago and Georgetown to name a few.</p>

<p>The answer is you got 3 As, and 4 Cs out of 8 courses (gym doesn't count.) So your gpa is around 2.855 for the year. If you get all As in your junior year, at the time you apply to college your GPA will be a little over 3.25.</p>

<p>Since if you had all As and 1500 SATs, your chances would never top 1 in 4, you can do the math from there.</p>

<p>Yes but I am taking CC courses that count as HS credit.</p>

<p>I'm in university courses and I still have to get good grades...</p>

<p>I think it's important to recognize that many applicants to Ivies are URMs who are getting As and Bs in IB, AP and community college courses. Thus, don't think the URM card means a free pass when it comes to grade.</p>

<p>This is my junior year and it is so hard to keep up the grades and it's only cycle 1. I too thought that oh ok, I'll just get all A's next year. Yeah, it doesn't work that way. I guess if you're taking community college courses that could work in your favor.</p>