IMSA Applicant Class of 2023

Hey guys, I was accepted to the class of 2022. I can answer some of your questions.

@BrainyCells usually SAT doesn’t matter as much as you think. However, because you are an eighth grader, your SAT and GPA have to be higher because they want to make sure you’ll be ready for IMSA, and they don’t accept very many eighth graders. You probably want to have at least a 1400.

For your ECS and awards, you list as well as describe how many hours per week. I also put for how many years I had been doing them.

You would probably have to take a science course online, though I don’t know much about that.

You could probably talk about your trip to Nepal in your essays, where you could elaborate fully about it.

@alwaystired11 BrainyCells is right, though you probably want to have an SAT score on the higher end or above that range. Tbh, SAT doesn’t matter as much (if you’re applying as a freshman) as your essays, ecs and awards, and teacher recs. One of my friends was waitpooled with a 1550, whereas another was accepted with a 1360. Your interest in STEM is what really matters, and you mostly show that through your essays, ECS, and awards.

I am an asian male from Naperville 40 minutes away from IMSA applying as an eighth grader…

How many people last year were accepted like me?

@BrainyCells I applied as an eighth grader and I took a remote physical science course with the Keystone school, a similar mail-in/online school course or taking a course at your local college should work. You will have to have the online school send your transcript to IMSA and the IMSA application should let you enter grades from multiple schools. Don’t hesitate to ask an actual IMSA admissions officer for more help to make sure everything is in order, I’m just some random 17 year old on the internet aha. If you’re an eighth grader, also make extra sure you have a geometry credit they will accept.

To what degree of recognition should your awards be in order to be a likely candidate for IMSA?

i’m going into 8th grade at the moment. is it a good idea to apply both this year and next year to get a feel for the process even though there is quite a high chance i won’t get in?

Hey guys,
I’m a rising freshman and I’m hoping to apply in the 2019-2020 school year.
My SAT score is 1440 (i took it in june), 670 reading and 770 math.
However, my GPA in 7th grade was not great. My 8th grade was around 3.75 but my seventh grade was more around 3.5. Will that have a huge effect on my application?

@pranets251
The better your awards are, the better off your application will be, but I’m not sure how much it will really matter.

@tigerjshdk
Definitely, if you have the time and money.

@Xwingpilot15
It depends. The only subjects that imsa looks at are your math, reading, and science. I don’t know whether or not you accounted for other subjects in your gpa or not. Assuming you didn’t, you still have a chance, but you’ll probably have to work harder in freshman year to have a better shot.

Hi, to all on this forum.
Does my application look good for the Illinois Mathematics Science Academy?

@K9Dude17 Oh, I was accounting for all. Then, it should be good. Thanks!

How does IMSA calculate Grade Point Average (GPA)?
I have always had high A’s (95% or above) in English, Math, and Science, each quarter. Only once, in the first quarter of 6th Grade Project Arrow Math, I have had a low A (92.3%).
Am I fine? Will this hurt my application, as some sources say this low aspect will matter?

@IllinoisStar I don’t think that will matter at all.

@K9Dude17
I think that my application is strong for acceptance. I was just wondering about the High School Level Science Course.
We could not afford expensive courses, that can cost upwards $700, just for this application. I had found a Chemistry Course on Courses.Com from Sal Khan, founder of Khan Academy. How will/can I send this course to IMSA, for proper documentation?
IMSA has been a long dream for me, and I hope that this course qualification does not be a factor of rejection.

@IllinoisStar You can ask IMSA, they can tell you what previous 8th grade applicants have used in their applications. As for sending the course to IMSA, I’m not entirely sure, but I think there was somewhere on the application that had a spot for that. It should make more sense when applications open.

Hi guys! I am a freshman who is going to apply for 2023 grads. I was just wondering I really don’t have any outstanding awards nor do I have a lot would this make a major impact on my chances of getting in? How many awards will boost my chances of getting in and do you have any recommendations on awards that I can achieve in the next year?

One more question: on the website it says that IMSA applications are due on Feb. 1 but what if you wanted to take the March SAT test? Would you still be able to put that on your application?

@swimmingstar you would have to just contact the admissions office and tell them that you’re taking the March SAT, and they’ll give you further instructions.

Hey, so I’m a male Asian-Indian from around the Normal/Peoria Area (Freshmen). I haven’t taken the official SAT yet but I will soon. I got 1210 on a practice test the last time I took a practice test at a certain center. I have straight A’s throughout 7th, 8th and so far 9th grade. I do lots of extracurriculars throughout school and do play basketball. Is there anything I can do to have a better chance of getting in? I know that people are saying that in non-competitive areas having 1100-1400 is really good? Is there a certain score I can aim for or something. Thank You

Hey guys, I’m an eighth grader applying from the Naperville area. These are my stats. Just wanted to know how I should feel going in.

Ethnicity: Indian
SAT: 1390
GPA: 3.98 (One B+, and 3 A-'s, rest A’s)

EC’s:
STEM Innovation Squad (Founder)
Math Club
AA School Basketball Team
Science Olympiad
School Chamber Orchestra (Concertmaster), or should I do Naperville Youth Symphony Orchestra?

Awards:
Conrad Spirit of Innovation Challenge Finalist (International)
AMC 8 Distinguished Honor Roll (Perfect Score, and National)
MathCounts Chapter 1st place individual

Essays: I’ll talk about my passion for economics, or innovation. I might also sprinkle in a bit of basketball and music.

Teacher Recs: My teachers pretty much like me so far…

I’m just worried about my SAT Score of 1390. What are my chances of getting in?

@pranets251 looking at your application, you are strong. A higher SAT score would be better, because from your area it is very competitive. I would recommend a 1400+, but what ends up carrying your application is your essay.