Investment Banking (I-Banking)

<p>-Which is 4yr UnderGrad (Bachelor) Major is more relevent for a career in I-Banking, directlty after the degree: Business, Economics, or even a Liberal Arts one ?</p>

<p>-Generally, which one gives more chances of 4yr scholarships ?</p>

<p>-Also, by and large, which of the 3 degrees has a lower Tuition Fee in a TOP 20 college, institution, university - whatever ?</p>

<p>if you want to do I-banking you practically need to go to an ibank recruiting school, i.e. ivys, stanford, gtown, duke, top LACs, mich, etc. There is no specific major that they look for although from what I've seen ibanks really like finance majors from schools like wharton(Penn), sloan(MIT), Stern(NYU). Very few of the top schools, ibanking recruiting ground schools, give scholarships.</p>

<ol>
<li><p>The only major where you will learn anything related to the work you do in investment banking is business with a finance concentration. However, all ibanks have training for 7-8 weeks to teach you the basics, and you learn the rest on the job. As someone who has done internships in banking, seen the recruiting process, and is going into banking, I strongly DISCOURAGE you from majoring in business unless you are 100% sure you want to do banking. I did economics (which has little to do with banking) and did fine in recruiting, and I know english, history, and polisci majors that did will in recruiting. </p></li>
<li><p>As far as scholarships, top private non-Ivy league schools like Stanford and Duke give scholarships, and top public schools (Michigan, Virginia, etc.) give scholarships as well.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>Do top public schools give scholarships for internationals also...?</p>

<p>I think atleast UCal doesn't</p>

<p>I've shortlisted 10 UNDERGRAD BUSINESS PROGS for myself and would like to have advice and suggestions on it.</p>

<p>It's here - <a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/showthread.php?p=308480&posted=1#post308480%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/showthread.php?p=308480&posted=1#post308480&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Akshay, if what you want is Investment banking, forget about Purdue, Illinois and GWU. Those are fine universities, but not for future IBankers. The remaining schools on your list are good. I would look into the following schools:</p>

<p>Amherst College (Economics only)
Brown University (Economics only)
Carnegie Mellon University (Economics and Business)
Columbia University (Economics only)
Cornell University (Economics and Business)
Dartmouth College (Economics only)
Duke University (Economics only)
Emory University (Economics and Business)
Harvard University (Economics only)
Haverford College (Economics only)
Georgetown University (Economics and Business)
Johns Hopkins University (Economics only)
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Economics and Business)
New York University (Economics and Business)
Northwestern University (Economics only)
Princeton University (Economics only)
Stanford University (Economics only)
Swarthmore College (Economics only)
University of California-Berkeley (Economics and Business)
University of Chicago (Economics only)
University of Michigan-Ann Arbor (Economics and Business)
University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill (Economics and Business)
University of Notre Dame (Economics and Business)
University of Pennsylvania (Economics and Business)
Unibersity of Texas-Austin (Economics and Business)
University of Virginia (Economics and Business)
Washington University-Saint Louis (Economics and Business)
Williams College (Economics only)
Yale University (Economics only)</p>

<p>I realize this is a large list. We can help you narrow down your list if you can you share with us the following information:</p>

<p>1) Your stats (SAT, SATII, class rank, APs, ECs etc...)
2) Financial aid need, are we talking about full tuition or just a small amount?
3) Preferences (school size, campus size, weather, city size, hobbies etc...</p>

<p>I agree 100% with your list Alexandre. All are excellent schools for future bankers.</p>

<p>Akshay, I saw your stats and interests. You have a decent chance at any university in the country. But narrowing it down to 10 or so schools is difficult. I have one more question. Define "college life". What is YOUR idea of fun? What do you want out of college life? Right now, I would recommend the top 5 or 6 Business programs and the top 5 or 6 Econ programs. But if you like small and intimate, I would probably give you a different list.</p>

<p>ECONOMICS:
Columbia University (proximity to Wall Street)
Harvard University
Northwestern University (Great in Economics and awesome placement, but not good with aid for internationals)
Princeton University
Stanford University
University of Chicago (incredible Economics department)
Yale University</p>

<p>BUSINESS:
Carnegie Mellon University
Georgetown University
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Sloan)
New York University (Stern)
University of California-Berkeley (Haas)
University of Michigan-Ann Arbor (Ross)
University of Notre Dame (Mondoza)
University of Pennsylvania (Wharton) Would be my #1 choice if I were hard core I-Banker
University of Virginia (McIntire)</p>

<p>Since the most important colleges academically and alse in terms of placements are now more or less picked out,</p>

<p>I request for more help based on the following criteria :
1) That match my stats and profile: <a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/showthread.php?t=5939%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/showthread.php?t=5939&lt;/a> (Page 1, Post 1)</p>

<p>2) A Full tuition waiver : Basically my family can afford ~$60K for my education, which should easily take care of an int'l student's "living costs only".</p>

<p>3) Preferences:
-School size, Campus size - Large, but not absolutely essential.</p>

<p>-COLLEGE LIFE shouldn't be like JUST ANOTHER STUDENT IN THE CROWD.
CLASS SIZE preferably SMALL.
Hence INDIVIDUAL ATTENTION is a MUST.
Should be where EVERYBODY KNOWS EVERYONE.
Where fellow students are FRIENDS FOR LIFE, NOT FAIR WEATHER and SNOBBY.</p>

<p>-Climate : Not so important, but NOT VERY COLD. Ideal climate - like California (paragon for Indians)</p>

<p>-City : Very URBAN (Almost a concrete jungle). The city where I live (Mumbai) is one of the largest in India</p>

<p>I hope so many criteria are not too intimidating.</p>

<p>Thanks for any suggestions.</p>

<p>A large school with small classes in a large city in a warm weather State at which ibanks heavily recruit that will give a full scholarship to an international? It doesn't exist.</p>

<p>Okay... these are just my ideal preferences</p>

<p>NEW LIST</p>

<p>Business :</p>

<p>Carnegie Mellon University (PA)
Univ. of Southern California (Marshall)
Indiana University–Bloomington (Kelley)
Emory University (Goizueta) (GA)
University of Notre Dame (IN)
Georgetown University (McDonough) (DC)
University of Georgia (Terry)
Tulane University (Freeman) (LA)
Boston University(MA)</p>

<p>Economics :
Stanford
UCLA
University of Chicago</p>

<p>1) Any other top business/economics school where the climate is pleasant that I did not mention here ?</p>

<p>2) Please tell me why why Uof Virginia, Uof Illinois, cornell and purdue are being disapproved for me, even though they are in the top 20 for business</p>

<p>3) IS IT POSSIBLE TO APPLY TO BUSINESS AND ECONOMICS PROGRAMMES (DIFFERENT COLLEGES) ?</p>

<p>Thank you for all comments and suggestions</p>

<p>Yea...I'm also wondering why Illinois, Purdue, GWU and some others are not considered good for future IBers. Does it have something to do with the job placement or location?</p>

<p>How's UCLA's recruitment in the field?</p>

<p>Akshay,</p>

<p>MIT and Princeton are musts for Economics. Both are generous with aid to internationals.</p>

<p>As for Business schools, your list is fine. You are ignoring the top 5 Business schools altogether, but you have a good list just the same.</p>

<p>What about Claremont McKenna? Doesn't it have an excellent economics program?</p>

<p>Neophyte, Clearemont McKenna has an awesome Economics department. One of the best in the country. But the OP was not asking for LACs. I would actually recommend he take a serious look at a few LACs, including Amherst, Claremont McKenna, Davidson, Haverford, Middlebury, Pomona, Swarthmore, Wesleyan and Williams. I would also have recommended Bowdoin and Carleton, but those are freaky cold and he seems to want warm weather! LOL</p>

<p>Alexandre, I'm in favor of LACs and second your list; however, I would add that there's very little climatic difference between Amherst, Middlebury, Williams, Bowdoin and Carlton (and Wesleyan is borderline).</p>

<p>Momrath, I certainly like LACs. However, the OP was asking for urban and subburban settings. That is why I left out many LACs. But Pomona, Claremont McKenna, Amherst, Swarthmore, Haverford are ok in the regard. Carleton and Davidson aren't too bad either. But Williams, Middlebury, Bowdoin and many other excellent LACs are a little too rural for his needs...I think. Rice is a research university, but it has a nice LAC feel to it. Same goes for Brown. Dartmouth is another LAC-type school, but again, a little to rural forhis needs.</p>

<p>Setting and climate are two separate issues. My point was if you eliminate Bowdoin and Carleton because they are "freaky cold" then you'd have to eliminate Amherst as well (in addition to several of the Universities on his list, like CMU, Indiana, ND, BU and Chicago).</p>