Investment Banking (I-Banking)

<p>I don't know Momrath. I think Carleton is significantly colder than CMU or Indiana U. I agree that ND, Chicago and BU are pretty cold...but I still think Minnesota is appreciably colder. But I agree, if one wants to avoid the cold, none of those schools would be suitable as they all have freezing winters.</p>

<p>I had visited this place called Anahem (near DisneyLand) in California more than a decade ago and still regard this experience as one of the most pleasant memories of my life. That place wasn't exactly a concrete jungle (at that time, atleast), but such a place is what I'd least expect for a college setting - and WILL BE CONTENTED with it. </p>

<p>If anyone is familiar with that place as it was 12 years ago, you know what my least expectation for a college setting is.</p>

<p>In fact, an economics major from a TOP LAC is fine for me. So, compared to Anahem, how are the settings of the LACs - Pomona, Claremont McKenna, Amherst, Swarthmore, Haverford, Carleton, Davidson, Williams, Middlebury, Bowdoin, Brown and Dartmouth ?</p>

<p>Is there any other GREAT college (for UG business/Economics or Lib Arts) that you'll may have crossed off due to my city setting preferences ? I'm still deliberating on the CLIMATE issue - but definitely don't want to live in HARSH and EXTREME weather conditions.</p>

<p>Alexandre... you live in Dubai?</p>

<p>Thats awesome... I going to visit there soon in the Burj Al Arab.</p>

<p>No way. I live about half a mile away from Burj Al Arab. Let me know if you need any recommendations.</p>

<p>Caltech has a great Economics curriculum.</p>

<p>Well, Anaheim is pretty much the same as it was 12 years ago. Pomona and CMC have the same climate, as does Cal Tech, UCLA, UCSD, and USC. The bay area (San Francisco area) with Stanford and Berkeley is a bit cooler than Southern California, but still great. Amherst, Swarthmore, Haverford, Williams, Middlebury, Bowdoin, Brown and Dartmouth are all on the east coast and are usually very cold in comparison to California and you might even see snow. Carleton is in Minnesota near the great lakes and is also usually cold. Davidson is in North Carolina so the weather shouldn't be too bad, but I'm not sure because I don't know much NC in detail.</p>

<p>Wow...Alexandre... You are a ....Moderator now....Congratulation!</p>

<p>Heartfelt thanks OH MY MENTORS and also CC, for all the beautiful advice that I have received from you people. A student just can't do without CC for matters relating to studying in the U.S.</p>

<p>However, I also apologise to anyone who may have been appalled with my outrageous posts and tastes, and I hope that my PERPETUAL DOUBTS and COLLEGE LISTS haven't started to ANNOY you all.</p>

<p>I admit that STRIKING OFF good colleges only because there is COLD WEATHER there OR are in the NORTH isn't exactly FAIR, but I guess I'll stick to only SOUTH colleges.</p>

<p>So here's my newest list and it consists ONLY South colleges - Yup, I know this is crazy.</p>

<p>BUSINESS MAJOR
1)University of Southern California (Marshall) - DREAM SCHOOL IF I GET THAT COVETED FULL RIDE..</p>

<p>--</p>

<p>ECONOMICS MAJOR (merely beacause they don't offer BUSINESS) (Colleges are in no specific order)
2)Stanford University
3)Duke University
4)University of California - Los Angeles
5)University of California - San Diego
6)Vanderbilt University
7)Rice University
8)California Institute of Technology
9)Pomona - LAC
10)Claremont McKenna - LAC
11)Harvey Mudd (where is it? & est-il LAC ?)
12)Davidson (where is it? & est-il LAC ?)</p>

<p>--</p>

<p>Should I apply for ECONOMICS or BUSINESS in these colleges ? (Which DO allow applying to both programmes ?? - and I'm not talking about DOUBLE MAJORING)
13)University of California - Berkeley
14)University of South Carolina – Columbia
15)Emory University
16)Tulane University
17)University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill
18)University of Florida
19)University of Georgia
20)Georgia Institute of Technology</p>

<p>--</p>

<p>Any other GOOD SOUTH COLLEGE that I missed out ?</p>

<p>--</p>

<p>Since my college list is pretty big, I NEED TO SHORTEN IT TO HALF
So,
A) Which of the colleges in this list (particularly UCs, Stanford and Rice) are not good with INTERNATIONAL STUDENT 'aid' (need-blind or whatever) & 'scholarships' ?
B) Still any colleges above, where there is cold weather (particularly Duke, Vanderbilt and Uof North Carolina)?</p>

<p>Aren't you applying to McComb (UT-Austin)? They give decent aid to internationals.</p>

<p>Georgia, Georgia Tech, Emory, Vanderbilt, UNC, Duke and Davidson (yes it is indeed a LAC, but a good one) can all have cold weather...but their winters are generally mild (over 5 degrees celcius).</p>

<p>5 degrees C is mild...!!??</p>

<p>In some earlier post in one of the threads started by me, It had been mentioned that Uof Texas-Austin isn't good with int'l student aid & scholarships. But now, I will reconsider this college.</p>

<p>Current Conditions for Durham, NC</p>

<p>Fair 16°F
Feels Like
9°F</p>

<p>Burj Al Arab is truly a unique experience. We were driven to the hotel in a Rolls-Royce. Everything that comes to mind when talking about hotels (fun, dining, spa, technology, service, accomodations, activities etc...) is done to the max at the Burj Al Arab. Well Carrera let me know how your stay goes. (I'm sure you will have a fun and one of a kind experience!)</p>

<p>My dad has been there a few times... and he loved it. We want to go this spring, but it may be too hot.</p>

<p>Burj Al Arab is an awesome place. Hope I could go there someday (preferrably sometime in the near future lol). By the way...how do you pronounce the 'Burj' in Burj Al Arab?</p>

<p>I guess the way it should be pronounced is Boorj</p>

<p>No, its like burrrr (like what you say when you are cold), and then a "j" at the end.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Which is 4yr UnderGrad (Bachelor) Major is more relevent for a career in I-Banking, directlty after the degree: Business, Economics, or even a Liberal Arts one ?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Akshay, I think it really comes down to where you want to work in the future. If you want an I-Banking job out east, I'd highly suggest going to school out there because you are only adding unnecessary adversity to yourself by going to a business school in the west and applying to a firm across the country. </p>

<p>It's cool that SC is your dream school (I'm at Marshall myself ;)), and I'd highly recommend it if you want to work out in the west. I know plenty of people that have jobs/internships with Merrill Lynch, Salomon Smith Barney, and Morgan Stanley right now and a few at Goldman Sachs (they don't recruit much out here) so it is definitely achievable if you work hard and show leadership skills.</p>

<p>Justa BUMP</p>

<p>exactly what is i-banking?</p>

<p><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Investment_banking%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Investment_banking&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>A high paying job.</p>