KINDS OF STUDENTS JOHNS HOPKINS WANTS & DOESN'T WANT!!!

<p>TYPICAL JHU RD REJECT:</p>

<p>Top 5%, 670 V 730 M</p>

<p>likely major: Biology</p>

<p>has a lot of community service but little or no leadership; no sports
volunteered in a hospital (foolishly thinks JHU admission officers love to hear this); boring essay; mediocre recs... (white or asian)</p>

<p>.................................................. .................................................. </p>

<p>LIKELY JHU RD ADMIT:</p>

<p>Top 10%, 750 V 650 M</p>

<p>likely major: Anthropology or History</p>

<p>class president and other leadership positions; musical talent (sent in piano tape & is considering taking classes at Peabody); star in HS play; very creative/interesting essay; terrific recs... (any race)</p>

<p>.................................................. .................................................. </p>

<p>LIKELY JHU RD ADMIT:</p>

<p>Top 3%, 670 V 730 M</p>

<p>likely major: Mechanical or Electrical Engineering</p>

<p>captain of soccer and baseball teams in HS and expresses a desire to play Div III sports at Hopkins; in HS chorus and would like to join an a capella singing group at JHU; very funny essay, great recs.. (any race)</p>

<p>*</p>

<p>JHU isn't that selective. They'd take all 3 of those in a heartbeat.</p>

<p>volunteered in a hospital (foolishly thinks JHU admission officers love to hear this)</p>

<p>eventhough you should do that, then nothing.</p>

<p>The way you organized your post makes it seem as if majoring in Biology was some kind of negative factor, to me at least.</p>

<p>ritchieboy, who made you the authority on Johns Hopkins admissions.</p>

<p>thuff a lot of people on these boards have that attitude, sorry to say jhu is as tough as an ivy to get into. Don't believe me? I saw at least 2 1600, 4.0's being rejected, very similar to harvard, though more thorough, in selecting candidates who are socially, and academically adding to their campus</p>

<p>JHU is a little less than an ivy league, about like Cornell I'd say if it were to be compared with the ivies.</p>

<p>hm, i dont know about that. jhu is ALOT smaller that cornell and i think the student body is at a higher calibur. cornell engineering perhaps, but not cornell overall. </p>

<p>from people I know who have applied, JHU is VERY selective and places a HUGE emphasis on ec's and real world experience. for instance you can have a 4.0 in 8 aps and a 1600 and get rejected. on the other hand, you can have a 3.8 in 5 aps and a 1450 with research experience (real research, not meaningless volunteering) and get accepted. </p>

<p>i personally prefer the second style of applicant because overall, they will probably bring more to the campus than will some applicants who just studies 24/7.</p>

<p>
[quote]
rom people I know who have applied, JHU is VERY selective and places a HUGE emphasis on ec's and real world experience. for instance you can have a 4.0 in 8 aps and a 1600 and get rejected. on the other hand, you can have a 3.8 in 5 aps and a 1450 with research experience (real research, not meaningless volunteering) and get accepted.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Schools like Johns Hopkins are going to be a little more flexible when it comes to admissions requirements. I personally think they'd take both kids in this example, as long as the 1600 kid's recommendations demonstrated a love of learning.</p>

<p>However, to get into say, MIT, without any special 'tip' factors, you'd probably need 1550, a 4.0, AND the real research experience or demonstrated academic initiative.</p>

<p>Joey</p>

<p>pilot u hit my point on the dot, they place an insane emphasis on your experience, and that's really good for their student body</p>