Looking for a california school...

<p>Hey there. I just graduated high school and will be starting at the University of Nebraska Lincoln in August. I'm currently undeclared, but had recently decided on working towards the radiology program at UNMC, to eventually become a radiological technician or what have you.</p>

<p>Anyways, for personal reasons I would eventually like to transfer to a school out in California, preferably at the end of this school year if at all possible. It's important to me that I find a school as close to San Diego as possible, but I don't want to short myself academically either. I guess I'm asking for help finding a balance between a school close to San Diego, and one that is academically comparable to UNL, and eventually a medical place comparable to UNMC. I hope that this is the right place for this, and I look forward to any help you can provide.</p>

<p>How much can you afford to pay?</p>

<p>Well, UCSD is the obvious choice. San Diego State and USD in the San Diego area. If you are okay with moving north, UCI in Irvine and UCLA in Los Angeles. These are the ones that I can think of off the top of my head....</p>

<p>Oh there is the Cal State system too. Cal State Fullerton and Cal State Long Beach.....</p>

<p>I think the obvious ones have been mentioned. There aren't many schools near San Diego. You could add Chapman which is a bit farther north, or if you didn't mind a religious school there's beautiful Loma Linda University which also has Loma Linda Medical Center and a lot of pre-med programs. Loma</a> Linda University</p>

<p>The OP seems to want to be a radiology technician, not an MD. The cheapest of the schools mentioned above is $30K, most are over $50K/yr. Most can not afford them.</p>

<p>In San Diego you have University of California--San Diego, Point Loma Nazerene University, University of San Diego, and San Diego State University. All are fine institutions, yes, even San Diego State. SDSU is the number one small research university in the US and the average incoming GPA for the Fall of 2010 was 3.70. It's becoming a better school every year.</p>

<p>Schools near San Diego that aren't in San Diego: CSU San Marcos, USC, UCLA, UC Riverside, UC Irvine, Cal Poly Pomona, Claremont Colleges, CSU Long Beach, CSU Northridge, CSU Fullerton, CSU Dominguez Hills, Whittier College, and Pepperdine. I probably missed some.</p>

<p>I'm sure some of these schools have what you are looking for.</p>

<p>What is your budget?</p>

<p>For you to go to a Calif state school means paying out of state tuition - which can be high.</p>

<p>And, California privates aren't cheap either.</p>

<p>Unless your family will pay for whatever a school costs, you should probably get your education in Nebraska and then move to Calif to work.</p>

<p>Whoever said I was going to be a radiological technician, they were right. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.</p>

<p>I'm actually not even from Nebraska, so I'm already going to be paying out of state tuition, which at last estimate comes to about 31,000 a year I believe. My family doesn't have much money at all, so the vast majority of my costs will have to be paid via scholarships, financial aid, and loans no matter where I go. If it helps figure out relative costs at all, my mother makes around $20,000 a year, and I pulled a 32 on the ACT which has got me some UNL scholarships, although I'm not sure if there would be anything similiar for schools down in that area, and how financial aid would go. I can certainly stay in Nebraska if there's absolutely no way to work out a California school at all, but if there is any way at all to make it work, I'd love to hear it. Let's just say that personal circumstances would make my life much happier in the next few years if I could be down there.</p>

<p>and I pulled a 32 on the ACT which has got me some UNL scholarships,</p>

<p>Then you need to stay in Nebraska. Your scholarship makes it affordable.</p>

<p>you won't get a scholarship based on your scores or GPA as a transfer student. Those nice scholarships are for incoming freshmen only. Nice merit scholarships are given to get the best incoming freshmen class because it affects ranking. Schools don't have the incentive to give nice scholarships to transfer students. Calif schools won't be affordable. :(</p>