my heart is whispering to try, but my mind says otherwise

<p>This is certainly a lengthy post. (to advise/alert you, just incase) :O)</p>

<p>So high school has been everything but great for me.
But after 4 years of discovery, reinvention, and rebirth... I can finally say that I've found myself -- perhaps a bit of my true self, and a lot more about who I am as a person. However, looking at the scores... it really doesn't look too good. =&lt;/p>

<p>Thanks for even coming to this thread, yet alone taking the time to read it. I am by far, no way near the top of the highly praised and commended of posters here, so any feedback at all would be humbly received and intensely considered in our current craze of applying to colleges.</p>

<p>I was enrolled in the IB program for the first 3 years of high school, but dropped the end of Junior year after failing (miserably) in AP/IB Physics C. I struggled a lot with my limited (understatement) schedule last year, and unfortunately, had to pay for my decision. I couldn’t choose any of my classes because our school was in its first year with the IB program. I feel as if I have been shorted and am now paying my penance. I’m very sad about this, but I know this has helped me to grow as a person and learn from my mistakes. I just don’t know if the colleges will see that. </p>

<p>I know many will say the best way to explain this is in your essays, but I also really wanted to write about the two things that I am most passionate about: Music and helping people. </p>

<p>I have been helping special education students at my school for a year now, and this has truly been one of the most inspirational times of my life. I want to major in something along the lines of Social Work and Music and merge these two things into a career in the future. I have lofty goals and aspirations, and I want to affect the world on a greater scale in the future, which is why I’m choosing to apply to some higher end colleges.</p>

<p>So now, I don’t know which topic is more relevant, or rather, beneficial and effective for the evaluation of my application. </p>

<p>I guess, now, my statistics:</p>

<p>I have taken challenging classes, with 10 honors classes, and 11 AP/IB classes with 12 AP tests I will have taken by the end of this year. In my senior year, I have 5 APs – 4.0 GPA so far. </p>

<p>With a big focus on music and community service, my ECs are focused, but may not be that impressive. I have numerous music awards at the state level (California), but have never competed on the national level. I have been volunteering at food banks to help the homeless and needy since the summer of last year, and continue to do so into the future. I took 4 years of Band and women’s golf and have been the Drum Major for 3 years. I love to write and I am sending supplemental essays and cassette tapes of my music recordings. I was a National Merit Commended Student? (I don’t even know if I should put this on my college application) Voted Best of the Best by my senior class (image may weigh over true consideration) Once again, don’t know if I should even put this on my apps.</p>

<p>Some General Stats:
Up until Junior Year: 4.0 GPA (Unweighted)
After Junior Year: 3.63 GPA (Unweighted) [you can imagine junior year real GPA =]
Senior Year: 4.0 GPA so far (Unweighted)
Total GPA: I have no idea
SAT Is: 1380 (710M, 670V) (Dec. retake)
SAT Subject Tests: Math IIC: 800, Writing: 700, Literature: 680
Class Rank: Top 25% (unweighted) out of a class of 800</p>

<pre><code> Colleges:
</code></pre>

<p>Columbia
NYU (School of Social Work)
Wellesley
Bryn Mawr
Boston College
Cornell
Brown
USC (papa went there)
Sarah Lawrence
UC Berkeley
UC Los Angeles
UC San Diego</p>

<p>So here it is, everything set down in front of you. If you’ve gotten this far: Thanks for reading, really. Thus, to the topic of this discussion board: "What are my chances?"</p>

<p>I am in the same situation, but with my freshmen year. I honestly wouldn't worry too much about it as long as you attach a letter explaining along the lines of what happened, you look like an amazing student.</p>

<p>I think it has been driven into the minds of many on these forums that you have to be impeccable to get into the college you desperately want to, or in some cases: "any college." I don't think this is true at all..</p>

<p>Ever seen the movie "Homeless to Harvard", it's a true story and it's pretty self-explanatory.. a girl who was homeless, from a poor family, applied to Harvard (she didn't even have very good grades) and got accepted.. you can get into the school you really want to if you put your heart into doing so (in my opinion). I think you feel really passionate about what you want to do so I have no doubt you will succeed. (I just felt like saying all that).</p>

<p>So anyway, good luck.</p>

<p>ur solid... everywhere... except rank, i don't see why u wouldn't be accepted to all of these schools, ur clearly motivated, just try to construe that in ur essays, and i'm sure they'll see ur "junior year mistake"</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses. I'm still a bit apprehensive, but I'm going to give it a shot (I think) for the Ivys. Hey, you never know right? </p>

<p>I hope the interviews will help too, but I don't know if I can get all of them done. </p>

<p>What do you guys think about interviews? </p>

<p>Thanks again</p>

<p>abitdiscouraged:</p>

<p>Columbia: Reach
NYU: Match
Wellesley: Slight Reach
Bryn Mawr: Safety (?)
BC: Slight Reach
Cornell: Slight Reach
Brown: Slight Reach
USC: Safe Match (with legacy)
Sarah Lawrence: Safety (?)
UCB: Match
UCLA: Match
UCSD: Safe Match</p>

<p>I'm also an Asian American, does that encourage or deter my standing?</p>

<p>You look like a fantastic student to me; I think you have a great chance in many of the schools listed, I would say especially with UCLA</p>