Need school choosing help from u forum superheroes

<p>Hi, this is my first post, to get to the point straight away, i want to be a doctor and i live in new York.
My transcript average is 86.5 and i to brooklyn technical highschool which is a really good one, i am pplanning to take the SATs again, my current score is 700 in verbal, 690 in writing, and 630 in math ( these will improve next time)</p>

<p>I have read the book 40 colleges taht change lives and would like to know if i should choose between some of those colleges like Antioch, Ursinus or Juniata... but im not sure which ones are the best for a career in medicine. Someone told me read and almsot everyone who i asked about these said ***?? wat are thsoe colleges? its quite embarrassing to have your college choices be put down by your college advisor AND tutor. They all prefer i apply to these ones THEY heard of and called the schools in the book bogus or soemthing. Maybe i can get into some higly selective schools, i write good essays, but they all give me these really selective colleges but isnt judging a college by the quality of its admitted students like judging a hospital by the patients it gets? Anyways if any of you really smart and knowlegable people could give me feedback on possibe school choices i would be glad and tell me what you think of those colleges in that 40 COlleges taht change lives book and if the author is not accurate as 5 years have passed since its publishing.</p>

<p>I have friends that have gone to a number of schools in the book, and many of them had better experiences than at better "known" schools. More of them have gone on to grad school, and have in someways leap-frogged their more achievement oriented HS peers.</p>

<p>Some other good ones: College of Wooster, Knox, Earlham, Sewanee, The Evergreen State College, Lawrence, Rhodes, University of Puget Sound, Goucher, Beloit, Occidental, New College of Southern Florida, Whitman, Grinnell, Guilford, Denison, Kenyon, Wheaton (MA), Gonzaga, Hampshire, University of the Redlands, Rollins, Southwestern U, Austin C., Hendrix, Centre, Furman, Eckerd.</p>

<p>I wouldn't worry so much about what your friends say, I'd focus on fit and what you'll gain, especially if you see yourself going to grad school.</p>

<p>Go to schools where YOU think you would fit in. Your counselor isn't the one who will have to spend for years of their life there.
Find things out about the schools, and once you narrow down your decision, apply to places you like, regardless of if your tutor has heard of them or not.</p>

<p>any good colleges come to mind for someone trying to be a doctor of my current scores? also what do you guys think out of antioch, juniata, and ursinus would be better?</p>

<p>Evalescore:</p>

<p>They are excellent lacs that make it a point to give students lots of individual attention and ample opportunities for undergraduate research.</p>

<p>My son goes to one of those schools (Denison) and it has been fabulous. He too was a little worried that no one had ever heard of it...But now HE COULDN'T CARE LESS!!! I couldn't drag him kicking and screaming to some other school. </p>

<p>So do your own research and believe me -- turn a deaf ear to to those who say "they never heard of it." There is NO CORRELATION between college success and happiness and how many of your former classmates and guidance counselors have heard of the place.</p>

<p>Here's a link about Denison:
<a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/showthread.php?t=159719%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/showthread.php?t=159719&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>IsleBoy has an excellent list- I would certainly add Hope and Kalamazoo to it. </p>

<p>Haverford has a near 100% acceptance rate to medical school...here's</a> why.</p>

<p>On the topic of Haverford, it's always good to remember the unofficial motto: "We haven't heard of you either."</p>

<p>If you are willing to travel to Pennsylvania, four colleges that you ought to consider are Ursinus (outside of Philadelphia), Gettysburg (guess where), Juniata in Huntingdon (central Pennsylavania) and Washington & Jefferson (near Pittsburgh).</p>

<p>Never heard of them? That's not the point. The point is that the admissions committee at your medical school of choice (or veterinary or dental school) have. All four have a very high acceptance rate at medical schools.</p>

<p>we begun our search by traveling to several schools nearby and found out that info on the paper was not always agreeing with our opinion once we visited particular school. It got much easier after we read Colleges that change lifes book. We toured schools from the book and likes all of them. Those particular 40/ now 41/ schools were choosen for special reasons and one can clearly see it once you visit. My D did not apply to every school we visited but she ended up applying to several of CTCL schools and had hard time deciding which would be her final one.
Point is, keep looking, find schools that feel right to YOU and not anyone else.
Small LAC mentioned above have great admission rates to med schools . Knox has early indentification program with Rush med school and GWU.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Small LAC mentioned above have great admission rates to med schools

[/quote]
</p>

<p>There are MANY LAC's that have great admission rates to med schools for students who as high school students had your GPA and scores. I can personally attest to that. I went to a small LAC in Florida and at the time, it was a no-name school. It has a little more name recognition now due to the US News, etc. But no more than the ones you are considering. If the schools you are interested in have a pre-med committe or have a pre-med advisors, and have a strong science dept and can tell you about the students they have placed in med school in the past 3-5 years, that matters more than what your high school counselors think. Make some visits, ask the right questions. It is important to get a feel for the places you are interested in.</p>

<p>I would advise you to visit a number of these LACs and compare the learning environment to those of some of the schools that your gc and friends are recommending. By visit, I mean attending some classes and talking to premeds there at various stages of their education. I do not recommend picking a pig from the poke regardless of how glowing the write ups are. There is now a formal college tour called "Colleges that Change lives" that may be a worthwhile venture for you to try.</p>

<p>If you are considering a small school like Antioch , you should also look at Hiram College too ( in the Pope book ) . They may give you pretty good aid with your scores . They have a pretty good med school rate there too ( like Juanita ) . My D is at Hiram and it really did change her life . The professors there make the difference .</p>

<p>wow thanks for all the input, my mom urges me to try a brand name school because she doenst feel comfortable sending me to a relatively unknown college, and my counselor will hear nothing of it and tells me these are bogus. But i am determined to keep my mind open. People tell me haverford and Ursinus and Juniata any others that are better?</p>

<p>It depends on what is meant by "unknown". Grad schools are very much aware of those schools, while the general public is not always so well informed.</p>

<p>For instance, some schools that are "well-known" have name recognition because of other characteristics that have little to do with the kind of education you'll get, although even at those schools you can find a decent education.</p>

<p>There is a heard mentality to college selection, like anything else--I forget what it is called in social psychology. An individual will often behave differently if they are in a crowd of people vs. when that person is not. Schools, if you get caught up in the frenzy, will have applicants pick schools by "name recognition", rather than what college fits best given their needs and wants.</p>

<p>Be careful not to let the masses dictate what you do as an individual, if you do not agree with it. History is full of example of just such a thing--and the consequences were/are often explosive.</p>

<p>Just a though to ponder.</p>

<p>Good Luck!
:)</p>

<p>Can anyone comment on Antioch college, juniata, or ursinus? i am having particular difficulty finding info on antioch, i have only found a few responses from students who went there. Any place where u know there is? Also if any of you know someone who went here, pls share their experiences as taht would be hugely helpful!</p>

<p>Here's a few threads about Antioch --- take with a grain of salt!</p>

<p><a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/showthread.php?t=161464%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/showthread.php?t=161464&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p><a href="http://www.studentsreview.com/OH/AC.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.studentsreview.com/OH/AC.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p><a href="http://www.studentsreview.com/OH/AC_comments.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.studentsreview.com/OH/AC_comments.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Ursinus is in Collegeville, 25 miles outside of Philadelphia. It is especially noted for its small class sizes. UNWR gave it a superlative write up a few years ago in one of its college guides, in the editorial second in the front of the book.</p>

<p>Juniata is near University Park and markets itself as the anti-Penn State. The campus looks like something out of a 1940s MGM musical (Peter Lawford walking June Allyson to class). The colleges encourages a lot of on campus activities to discourage students from going home for the weekend. A lot of the majors are self-designed; students with input from their advisors put together a POE -- Program of Emphasis-- deciding which courses would best meet the students' goals. In addition, the program for distribution requirements seems pretty solid.</p>

<p>Do not let those skeptical parents or uninformed counselors deter you. Small LACs have excellent med school admit results and the research experience you can get from profs can be far better than in big university settings. Both Knox and Rhodes have some exceptional opportunities with direct connections to medical schools. If you do your homework on these questions you should be able to reassure your parents on these questions--AND you may have much better luck in getting merit or need scholarships as well.. Good luck</p>

<p>Looking up some of Curmudgeon's posts on med school questions might be useful ; he is a font of knowledge...</p>