Opinions about my Hook

<p>I'm curious to know some of your opinions about my hook. I'm a urm, black female, going into science/technology. Awesome sat scores.
Still a junior, but I'm taking precal and physics 2. I'm really hammering in my science/math courses.
I've also taken 2 years of computer science.
I'm an IB student.
This upcoming summer I'll either be interning for HP or NASA, I still can't decide which.
& I'm poor as hell...
so, how would this look to the deans for MIT, Stanford, Princeton, etc? Be kind or blunt. Doesn't matter, any type of advice or criticism is welcome.</p>

<p>You might get more response if you mentioned what kind of grades you are getting. The super selectives like to see all or nearly all A grades in the most rigorous courses available, and >700 on every SAT section at the minimum. But even among applicants with those qualifications, only a few get admitted.</p>

<p>As long as you're in the top 10% of your class, have good recs and awesome means over 2100, you should have a good shot.</p>

<p>It all sounds good, but you should have ECs that show your passion in the sciences and take the time to write some wonderful essays. best of luck to you - and remember to have a financial and admissions safety.</p>

<p>As long as your grades and scores are good/decent, you're in great shape.</p>

<p>
[quote]
The super selectives like to see all or nearly all A grades in the most rigorous courses available, and >700 on every SAT section at the minimum.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>URM and SES will help there even if that's not the case. You can get away with a bit lower (not that you shouldn't do the best you can).</p>

<p>My gpa is a 3.48...hopefully, pretty soon it will raise to at least a 3.5 or 3.6. I'm in the top 10% of my class, as well.</p>

<p>GPA is very problematic. What are your "awesome sat scores"? There will be similar AA women, interested in sciences who are applying with much better metrics than a 3.48 GPA.</p>

<p>^she's in the top 10%, so GPA may not be a problem. and besides, GPA is measured differently in different schools (including the unweighted)</p>

<p>3.48 won't cut it at all. </p>

<p>Even if you're in the 10%. One of my close friends in university graduated 1st in her class - but she was the only one that got into an Ivy League. The others in the 10% didn't get into colleges of that caliber. </p>

<p>She ended up going with Vandy and we love it here. :)</p>

<p>Take a look at questbridge.org</p>

<p>^ Good suggestion. OP, if your family's income falls in a certain range QBridge is a great opportunity. Good luck.</p>

<p>Would u be first generation attending college? URM is your hook, but a low income female looking to major in STEM (and possibly first generation college) certainly won't hurt.
Share the same concern as others re: GPA, for most the schools you're looking at GPA should be higher, you probably should be in the top 5% of your class if not in the top 10 students. Are you on track to be val or sal?
Most importantly, you sound like a hightly motivated student who if you get the aid you need at a decent school and take advantage of opportunities, will do extremely well in life. Good Luck!!</p>

<p>I'm in a very large competitive school. Being in the top 10% here is extremely difficult. Our gpa system is weird. I'm ranked somewhere in the 50's out of 800 something students. So technically I'm in the top 6%. So im not close to being Val or Sal.
Also I definitely qualify for questbridge. I'm not sure if I should do it though, because I probably will have a better chance applying SCEA to the Ivies. About the junior summer thing, Im also considering doing the MITES or RSI program at MIT.</p>