Penn state vs. Pitt vs. Lehigh

<p>Which of the following schools would you recommend for chemical engineering (i am a PA resident and will also expect need-based aid): Penn State, Pitt, Lehigh?</p>

<p>If you didn't need aid I'd recommend Lehigh, but Penn State is a good option with in-state tuition.</p>

<p>If you are a senior, wait and see what FA offers are made.</p>

<p>If you are a junior, run the FA calculators. </p>

<p>Lehigh can be pretty generous if your family needs significant aid per the calculators. If you are truly middle-class, and your stats are not stellar for Lehigh, then the state schools will most likely come out better.</p>

<p>Pitt gives more scholarships than Penn State. Though Pitt's program is not as highly rated, IMHO Pitt has a very good program. From the small number of kids I know, Pitt also has stronger support to keep you in the program. Penn State has support, but you have to seek out the help.</p>

<p>If your stats are very good, I'd throw Drexel in the mix. Kids I know got the best financial deal there for SAT +1950.</p>

<p>According to US News, Pitt and Lehigh are tied in ChemE at 41 while PSU is at 21. (see</a> here). Apparently, research productivity wise, Pitt's ChemE department is among</a> the top percentage of schools in the nation so its faculty must be pretty highly regarded. Both Lehigh and Pitt are smaller engineering schools than Penn State, as far as number of students go.</p>

<p>One thing I do know about Pitt is that it has recently put about $75 million into their engineering school in the last five years.</p>

<p>I have a close friend that is a chemical engineer and Pitt alumni that I can put you in contact with. PM me if you'd like me to connect you.</p>