Preferential Enrollment (Regents)

<p>Is the preferential enrollment of the UCLA Regent's a big deal? It's one of the major things holding me back from deciding between UCLA and Berkeley.</p>

<p>I have Regents at both and was wondering if the preferential enrollment at UCLA should be the ultimate factor/ is it very beneficial? Are classes that hard to get anyway?</p>

<p>its hard if ure south campus (science major)..no it shouldn't be a factor..the number one factor in making a college decision:</p>

<p>1) Pick which grad school u want to go to.
2) Pick a school that will get u to ur final destination the safest and easiest way(translation give u the easiest, highest GPA and more time for ECs)
3) Go to that school</p>

<p>if ure premed go to UCSD...prelaw come here to UCLA cause north campus (english.history) is super easy and lots of EC opp...if ure business go to Cal..undecided go to CAL</p>

<p>My friend told me priority enrollment is a big deal...it will give you a huge advantage during registration. For me, Regents was a huge factor, and the reason why I ruled out several other colleges for both its priority enrollment and financial aid perks :)</p>

<p>I keep thinking that it is, but if not having preferential enrollment means I can still get my classes/at least get them later, should this be a deciding factor?</p>

<p>Really the only difference for me is the preferential enrollment. I have to pay 3k for UCLA and 4.5k for Cal - both are up there academically, and although I love Cal's campus, I'm okay with UCLA"s as well.</p>

<p>Shouldn't you be asking people from Berkeley how difficult it is to get classes? Because that's what you're comparing it to.</p>

<p>It's not that difficult to get into the classes you need for your major but it could be a factor if you have popular, outside interests.</p>

<p>For example, it's literally impossible to enroll in a Poli Sci course if you're not a Poli Sci major and you pretty much have to use up one of your first priority choices for a lot of Comptng courses (computer programming for nonmajors).</p>

<p>Haha oooh...the difference between Cal and LA for me was 9k, so that did make a difference (although I am going to neither Cal or LA). If you go to Cal, no one will have preferential enrollment anyway (except maybe the athletes/disabled?), so you should pick by campus preference/major.</p>

<p>@ThisCouldBeHeavn: I have a thread in Berkeley as well - I'm just gauging the relative importance and worth of having preferential enrollment in both schools, and whether or not having this should push me towards going to UCLA (unless it doesn't make that big of a difference.)</p>

<p>@sentimentGX4: Thank you for that tidbit of information!</p>

<p>GE's are also hard to get, especially the easy ones. PIC 10A fills up incredibly fast. The key is really just good judgment about what's going to fill up when</p>

<p>
[quote]
Haha oooh...the difference between Cal and LA for me was 9k, so that did make a difference (although I am going to neither Cal or LA). If you go to Cal, no one will have preferential enrollment anyway (except maybe the athletes/disabled?), so you should pick by campus preference/major.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Departments here at Cal reserve seats for their majors, so some people do have a form of preferential enrollment. Athletes and DSP students get the earliest TeleBEARS registration dates, but people who amass large numbers of units (like myself) do too.</p>

<p>Ordinary registration times are based on the number of units you have. Seems like most upper divs here are closed to non-majors during first pass, though that probably depends somewhat on the department.</p>