Public schools

<p>Can someone please explain to me how public schools look at out of school apps? Especially the uc system... How do they pick the students? I mean, my highschool is pretty rigorous, and the courses in the hns classes are pretty hard, i heard that the la schools (mainly talking bout ucla) was pretty much not as rigorous. So if someone with a 5 gpa from that school district vs someone with a 4.12 from mine( thats my gpa the way they calculate it in the uc system) who would get in? Also, if you're not a major sports person, but very much into the music field, does that cover the fact that youve only done sports for 2 seasons? I mean, i used to be overweight freshman and sophmore year but jr year i lost 30-35 pounds and did track and i made our varsity tennis team for next year...but i am in tge orchestra played violin for 7 years, and piano for 8, i got 2nd and third place in two music competitions, prestigious ones at that, and attended a music festival in poland and prague. Does it cover my unathleticness?</p>

<p>Uh i meant i was talking about ucla when i mentioned publuc schools. La school district compared to mine.</p>

<p>Are you asking do you get a break because your hs was tough? Generally no. If you have those AP classes available you are expected to take them. If you do not have many APs it is not held against you. You can't take what's not there. Regarding your school being harder overall (not many As given for the same material), this will show in you class rank.
Ask the students of Northern Virginia, where the schools are generally highly regarded, if they have a better shot at instate schools. They will tell you no. Some feel there are quotas which make it harder for high achieving students from NOVA (I don't buy into the quota idea). It is clear by admissions trends that students from NOVA don't have the golden key and often have to have higher stats to be accepted. They have more AP/IB/dual enrollment programs available. If it's there you need to take advantage to stay in the top 10% of your class.</p>

<p>We dont have class rank. I am asking if I have a decent shot at ucla when I am coming from nj. Do they give equal chances to people out of state? Especially if our classes are harder and more rigorous than schools in california?</p>

<p>Look at their common data set and see if they consider your residency in applications. I believe the UC systems do (as do VA schools). This makes it tougher for OOS. If roughly 70% of spaces go to instate students, OOS generally have to have higher stats. That being said, it is a mistake for you to make a blanket statement that your school is better than those in CA. Really? And you know that your school is harder, and your lower gap is on par with higher ones instate because you have extensive knowledge of the CA school system? Schools like UCLA are very adept at filtering out grading systems from every stste, territory, and many, many international students. I would worry more about how you can improve your own resume, than trying to justify why your school is harder.</p>

<p>We dont have class rank. I am asking if I have a decent shot at ucla when I am coming from nj. Do they give equal chances to people out of state? Especially if our classes are harder and more rigorous than schools in california?</p>

<p>You just restated you question fm post #4.
Read answer in post #5. It's the same.</p>

<p>that was an accident. This is why the first generation of the itouch sucks, sorry.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, public schools with stringent academic requirements don't always looks into the idiosyncracies of every school they get applicants from.</p>

<p>so why do they prefer in state applicants?
shouldn't the out of state applicants have a higher acceptance rate?
we would pay more right?</p>

<p>This is a delicate balance. A public, state universities first role is to educate the residents of their state. They receive state funding. This is woefully lacking more and more. Some schools offer guaranteed admissions to instate applicants if they graduate within the top 10% (+/-) of their class (Texas). Some try to keep a balance of 65-70% instate (Virginia). Georgia offers it's residents the Hope Scholarship to top ranking students, however they do not give preference to is vs oos (correct me if I'm wrong...I do not believe GATech gives a preference).
Public universities in different states handle this in different ways, always keeping a keen eye on the OOS full pay students. If the percentage swings too far from instate you are not serving your residents.
Private universities are exempt from this. They can structure their aid however they see fit. Some have a mission statement that no family pays more than 10% of their wages, so even a family that would not see a nickel of FA at a state school because of their salary base, may get a break IF your student happens to get into one of the Ivy League schools that do this.</p>

<p>If your family is indeed full pay, you may receive a small bump in admissions at some public schools. People don't like to talk about it, but it's a reality. Schools that don't do this declare that they have 'Need Blind Admissions'.</p>

<p>All of the UCs are currently trying to attract morre OOS because they indeed need the money. Your HS, through it's profile, will give them enough info to see where you rank. They will look at your GPA in that context.</p>