Question about grades and cumulative GPA - Will a low GPA kill my chances.

<p>I'm from France (but I have american citizenship), and my 9th and 10th grades are therefore grades from my classes under french education. They were pretty average and low scores, but when I moved to the USA for my Junior year, my groups improved tremendously, my GPA was 4.1 for the year. My cumulative GPA is 2.91, will the colleges i'm applying to really take into consideration how much my grades improved for my Junior and now Senior year?</p>

<p>I know they all SAY that they will and that an applicants GPA isn't the only thing they look at, but I know it's also very important.</p>

<p>I'm applying to schools such as NYU, Boston College, UNC Chapel Hill, Davidson College, Vassar College, UC Berkeley, SDSU...</p>

<p>I'd like to believe I'd bring a lot to a school due to my culture and experiences living and traveling in Europe. I speak french fluently, I have a lot of extracurricular activities, I do volunteer work. My SAT score is 1900 and subject tests are 640 for Literature and 800 for French. AP Test scores are 5 for both French and Psychology.</p>

<p>Will my GPA really undermine my chances?</p>

<p>Any opinion?</p>

<p>GPA is one of the most important elements used in college admissions. A 2.91 will definitely hurt your chances at very selective schools. There are still many schools where your grades and scores will fit well.</p>

<p>So even though other parts of my application could be impressive, the GPA could make that all irrelevant?</p>

<p>Google the Common Data Set for each school that you are applying to and look at the Student Profile section which gives the stats for the admitted student population. If only 10% of the students admitted have a gpa below 3.0, then you can assume that your chances are very poor. GPA is weighted heavily in the admission decision at most schools. Apply to a a few reaches, but make sure you apply to match and safety schools as well.</p>

<p>Okay, that's what I figured. That's why i'm applying to SDSU, UMASS Amherst, UNC Wilmington, UW, and Syracuse...but I was hoping to get into better schools...</p>