Random Questions

I have not stayed at Airbnb or VRBO, but I stayed at vacation condos managed by local property management companies. There was always a starter pack of shampoo, soap, dish soap, PT, and other things like that. And a note saying where more can be acquired. But TP… that was supplied ad lib. I would not be happy to pay $300 a night for a place that does not provide that. In Hawaiian condos, renters also expect to be provided with beach “toys”: chairs, umbrellas, etc. We don’t care for this stuff, but judging by what the reviews say, people are not happy if none are provided.

1 Like

This reminds me of a cute experience we had after our first visit to HI (back on the mainland somewhere). Our boys were investigating our lodging and came across an ironing board, except one excitedly turned to us and said, “Hey look, a boogie board! How far away is the beach?”

6 Likes

I pack my own toiletries but agree I need kitchen items including a few garbage bags as well as hand soap in bathrooms- last place we rented ( 3 bed 3 bath) had neither. I’m definitely not packing sheets or towels.
The beach rentals we’ve used provided beach towels and chairs and in one a beach wagon and cooler- all very helpful.

1 Like

The condos we rent in the Myrtle Beach area that are owned by a real estate/property management company provide almost nothing. (The kitchen is stocked with pots/pans/utensils.) We bring our own sheets, towels, TP, paper towels, beach stuff, detergents, shampoo, hair dryer, etc. But you know all of this upfront. It’s in the rental agreement. If any of the above is there, it was left by the previous renters. We usually leave the remnants of our stuff for the next guest. Edit: You can rent linens from the company, but we never have.

Because of this, I always look to see what the airbnb/VRBO provides, because I normally think of them as a cross between a hotel and the beach condo. I would expect linens, bath towels, and a starter pack of toilet paper. Paper towels would be nice as well as a hair dryer, but the rest would be gravy for me.

2 Likes

Where’s @momofwildchild? I haven’t seen her here in quite a while.

PM sent. :slight_smile:

1 Like

So I went to lunch in a restaurant today, with a [much younger] friend. I got there first and asked to see a menu. The waitress told me to scan the QR code on the little display thingie on the table. I read the directions on the display thingie and it told me to hold it up to my camera. I did, and nothing happened. When my friend [again, much younger!] arrived, she tried it with my phone – an Android – and it didn’t work, but it did work with her iPhone. Does this technology only work with an iPhone?? Am I doomed to never be able to read a menu in a restaurant again?

I just can’t keep up anymore . . . .

OK, weird. It looks like, in my post above, that some of the text went missing. When I go to edit it, it’s all there in the box. When I click “Save Changes,” the text disappears again.

Apparently I really am not getting technology!

Here’s my original post:

So I went to lunch in a restaurant today, with a [much younger] friend. I got there first and asked to see a menu. The waitress told me to scan the QR code on the little display thingie on the table. I read the directions on the display thingie and it told me to hold it up to my camera. I did, and nothing happened. When my friend [again, much younger!] arrived, she tried it with my phone – an Android – and it didn’t work, but it did work with her iPhone. Does this technology only work with an iPhone?? Am I doomed to never be able to read a menu in a restaurant again?

I just can’t keep up anymore . . . .

@VeryHappy — you double-posted many hours apart. Sadly, some apps are iPhone or Apple device only, some are exclusively for android and non-Mac systems. Depends on the party who makes the app.

1 Like

My second post didn’t work, above, either. Maybe because I used brackets??

Some camera apps just pop up a link that you have to click on to go to the url behind the code. It’s easy to miss. Some take you there automagically. There might be some that do nothing.

You can always install a basic qr code app and use that instead of your camera app. Search for “qr code scanner” in google play.

3 Likes