Really Stressful Problem

<p>So, about 3 days ago, my brother got an acceptance email from a prestigious private university. He was really excited and told all of our family and friends.</p>

<p>Today, he got a letter from the university saying that he was rejected.</p>

<p>The email is legit and official from the university and so is the letter. He can't call the offices of administration until the 3rd of January(which is a really long time to be stressing). I told him I don't know what else he can do other than wait to call them or email them.</p>

<p>I'm pretty sure this isn't a common incident and I was wondering if anyone had any input about what would be a reasonable outcome?</p>

<p>Would it be unethical for a university to end up rejecting him although he got an acceptance email FIRST?</p>

<p>Any response would be helpful and would help me try to calm him.</p>