Rumor has it: UF jumps 2 spots to 47th overall in latest US News Ranking

<p>The source seems rather legit:</p>

<p><a href=""&gt;;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>47th overall and tied for the 14th overall spot for public national universities.</p>

<p>Now if you consider this is based on 2008 stats, it is quite possible that UF will do very well in next years rankings as well. Bet we jump Penn State, UT-Austin, and maybe even UC-Irvine.</p>

<p>2008 - median GPA = 4.0 - 4.4
median ACT = 26 - 31</p>

<p>2009 - median GPA = 4.2 - 4.4
median ACT = 29 - 31</p>

<p>Acceptance rates at each school.</p>

<p>UT-Austin- 44%
Penn State-51%
UC-Irvine- -49%</p>

<p>University of Florida- 37%</p>

<p>It is clear that UF SHOULD be ranked above these schools on statistical performance.</p>

<p>We will get them next year. Go Gators!</p>

<p>Jumping UT would be quite an accomplishment. Let's cross our fingers</p>

<p>Yes, UF is tied for 47th with Penn State and UT Austin. These three schools represent the 47th and 48th and 49th slots. UF was 49th last year.</p>

<p>The University of Texas is by law forced to take the Top-10 percent of in-state Texas graduates. If they are forced to keep this ridiculous public policy then by next year we should have them beat.</p>

<p>If the Texas legislature untied them from the Top-10% rule then they could easily be ranked a Top-10 public and would have UIUC & University of Wisconsin beat in my opinion. Remember they have a $7.2 billion dollar endowment from all that oil money from the past.</p>

<p>Yes, this is great news! But I can't help but wonder what next year's rankings will look like after factoring in effects of the economy.</p>

<p>^ I am not worried about it - Everyone's endowment went down the crapper, research expenditures nationally dropped like a rock, and alot of Florida's most exceptionally talented student are staying in-state. UF is weathering the storm a heck of alot better that what can be seen in the California schools. By and large our Peer Assessment Score should stay about the same.</p>

<p>Hopefully the law school jumps some spots also, with the increased difficulty of admissions, coupled with a 100 student reduction of the incoming class.</p>

<p>vincanity, I think the next graduate school rankings come out next year. Tomorrow's rankings highlight undergrad.</p>

<p>Yeah, I know. I was just commenting on the law school in general, as it will likely/hopefully share the same fortune.</p>

<p>Why get all that debt when one can go to Levin in-state? I think they will rebound this year. Problem is FSU Law will also crack the Top-50 as well.</p>

The University of Texas is by law forced to take the Top-10 percent of in-state Texas graduates. If they are forced to keep this ridiculous public policy then by next year we should have them beat.


<p>SSobik, Starting with the class of 2011, UT will be able to cap the 10% provision at 75% of the freshman class, then use hollistic methods for the remaining 25%. So, they are estimating that it will probably be auto for around 7% or so.</p>

<p>The leg changed the law for UT only because it was getting statistally close to topping out at 100% of all admits being top 10%ers. </p>

<p>I like Florida's system where if you are top ?% you gain admittance to A state funded college, but not THE one of your choice! Can you imagine if UF was bound by law to accept anyone in the top 10% of their class, regardless of what type of highschool they attended and what kind of standardized test scores they had? </p>

<p>It's a nightmare for Texas kids who have the unfortunate distinction of going to a competitve hs! I know of kids who when they find out they're in the top 10%, they don't even write the essays on the application because they're in, period. I don't imagine they study much for the SAT either!!</p>

<p>Anyway, just wanted to let you know the law has changed somewhat - not as much as people hoped for, but at least we're going in the right direction!!</p>

<p>Go Gators! And Go Longhorns!! I hope we meet in the National Championship, I'm going to have a problem with what team to go for and what colors to wear - perhaps a two tone orange ensemble - Texas burnt orange and Gator orange!!</p>