Rural Colleges for Science Majors?

<p>Somewhat of a mix as it seems, but I am looking for a lovingly rural school, in which I can Major in either basic biology or environmental sciences.</p>

<p>I am in the top 10-12% in my high school, and live in Texas, but I can't shake the feeling to travel further to a beautiful college that suits me.</p>

<p>I prefer smaller populations, around a simple or smaller town/city.</p>

<p>I am almost looking for a cheaper tuition, if that can possibly make it into the mix.</p>

<p>I have no restraints as to where I can travel, other then financial costs. So basically, no Ivy leagues here. Just some simple and attractive schools, that offer science related majors.</p>

<p>Thanks in advance for any help/advice.</p>

<p>Not really rural, but take a look at SUNY ESF:</p>

<p>SUNY-ESF</a>, SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry</p>

<p>Syracuse is between the Finger Lakes and the Adirondack Mountains.</p>

<p>Wow! That looks like a wonderful college, especially in financial terms. I will definitely look some more into it. Thanks!</p>

<p>It's through websites like these, that I learn about places like this-in which I wouldn't have ever heard of!</p>

<p>All of these schools are rural/small city and in beautiful locations </p>

<p>Depending on your stats you may get merit aid.</p>

<p>Paul</a> Smith's College - The College of the Adirondacks</p>

<p>Northern</a> Michigan University - Northern. Naturally.</p>

<p>The</a> Environmental Liberal Arts College | Northland College | Ashland, WI | (715) 682-1699</p>

<p>University</a> Of Dubuque</p>

<p>My eldest daughter is getting her second bachelors this weekend, and is going to go to grad school in the fall, at ESF. :)</p>

<p>Susquehanna University is in rural Pennsylvania. It's a beautiful school! They just finished a new science building, too. Everyone there, teachers and students, seemed happy and enthusiastic. They are very liberal with their merit scholarships, also. My son ended up not going there, becuase he decided to study engineering, but I was sold on the school! I'm definitely going to have my other two kids look at it.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.susqu.edu/admissions/default.asp%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.susqu.edu/admissions/default.asp&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>St. Lawrence University -- has everything you describe that you want. Small town, great college community. Great enviromental studies / outdoors programs. Also very generous with both merit and need-based aid. Check it out and good luck!</p>

<p>College</a> Profiles - St. Mary's College of Maryland</p>

<p>aqua, there are quite a few beautiful small colleges in rural or small town locations that also have good science programs. In addition to your rank, the more selective colleges would consider your grades, scores, extracurriculars and any demographic that would contribute to campus diversity -- like race, religion, ethnic background, economic status, geography. Tell us more about yourself.</p>

<p>Many will offer need based aid. Ask your parents to use an online calculator to determine what your family may be eligible for. If you are low income, you should take a look at Questbridge.</p>

<p>Some other ideas: Williams, Amherst, Hamilton, Middlebury, Kenyon. If you are female Smith, Mt. Holyoke.</p>

<p>Alfred</a> University : Academics : Degrees/Majors Majors </p>

<p>Alfred</a> University : Financial Aid : Undergraduate Freshmen Scholarships Merit Aid </p>

<p>Alfred University (NY) established in 1836. </p>

<p>2300 Undergrads, small classes-know your professors, Division III Athletics, great academics, No Greek Life, housing all four years, merit aid, need-based aid. Easy access to Rochester airport via shuttle at peak break times, buses to NYC at peak break times.</p>

<p>College of Liberal Arts
School of Business
School of Art & Design
School of Engineering </p>

<p>Princeton Review's Best 373
Fiske Guide 2011
Fiske Best Value
USNWR's Great Schools Great Prices
Fiske Small colleges & universities strong in Art & Design
Fiske Small colleges & universities strong in Engineering
Princeton Review's Best 300 Business Schools </p>

<p>Cost of attendance is still under $40,000/year,(about 38k), merit awards up to 14k/year.
Honors Program, (must interview) Co-op Program for Engineering students. </p>

<p>Small charming village of Alfred, NY with friendly people. </p>

<p>Best of luck in your college search!</p>

<p>About</a> GMC: Green Mountain College</p>

<p>Green Mountain College (VT) a friend of my daughter's goes here, a big environmentalist student, absolutely loves it here. </p>

<p>One of my children is a St. Lawrence University alum, we give SLU very high marks! :)</p>

<p>Sewanee certainly comes to mind; relatively few colleges combine a great education with such a beautiful setting. Perhaps Warren Wilson as well, though I think UNCA has a much more convenient location. </p>

<p>Many of the Maine LACs (Bowdoin, Colby, Bates, the College of the Atlantic, etc.) might fit, depending on your size and selectivity constraints. Several schools in the Pacific Northwest - Whitman, UPS, Evergreen State, Linfield, Lewis & Clark, Reed, Willamette, etc. - might also work. Although not all of them are rural, most of them have very strong outdoors programs and decent environmental science offerings. </p>

<p>For a larger option, Clemson comes to mind. It's of medium size for a university and is good about offering in-state tuition to strong OOS applicants.</p>

<p>Clemson is a large school but definitely has a smaller feel to it since it is more medium sized and only has 15,000 undergraduates. It's located in a beautiful setting in upstate South Carolina on Lake Hartwell and an hour away from the mountains. The sciences are really strong at Clemson. The college is the reason the town exists and the town is really small but it's a great place to go to college for 4 years. If you get a 1370 on the math + critical reading sections of the SAT or a 31 on the ACT and are in the top 10% of your high school class, you can get an in-state tuition waiver as a freshman. (which means you only pay in-state rates).</p>

<p>If you have any questions, let me know!</p>

<p>Definitely Grinnell - one of the few top LACS that provides merit aid in addition to generous financial aid. Among the unique features, an observatory and a prairie studies center. St. Mary's in Maryland is also a hidden gem in a beautiful location on the Chesapeake.</p>

<p>Thanks so much for all the wonderful replies! I will be doing some research on all those listed. </p>

<p>As far as information on me as requested here we are:</p>

<p>Parent's status: Divorced
Income: Average
My Gender: Female
Grades: B's and A's in all Pre-AP and AP courses.
I am taking the SAT on June 4, and again next fall if needed. May take ACT as well.
I live in southern Texas
Don't have too many extra's, but I am working on it this summer mainly. I am involved in several clubs at my school as well, and hope to be in more next year. I do a large amount of volunteer work, and babysit for income. Hoping to add to this list drastically later on.
I am in the top 10% of a high ranking high school, with a graduating class of 650.
But yes, thanks thus far for the information!</p>

<p>You might want to see if this is of interest:</p>

<p>[CIRRICULUM[/url</a>]</p>

<p>Main Campus is also rural:</p>

<p>[url=<a href="http://www.hiram.edu/index.html%5DHiram"&gt;http://www.hiram.edu/index.html]Hiram&lt;/a> College](<a href="http://www.rfcram.com/northwoodscirriculum.htm%5DCIRRICULUM%5B/url"&gt;http://www.rfcram.com/northwoodscirriculum.htm)&lt;/p>

<p>Sticker price is listed currently as 38,400. They have scholarships posted on their website:</p>

<p>Hiram</a> College - Scholarships</p>

<p>This school offers a tuition guarantee:</p>

<p>Hiram</a> College - Tuition Guarantee</p>

<p>aqua, You will get dozens of good suggestions, but before you can make a list of colleges you must make sure you can afford them. Private colleges vary in cost, but not considerably.</p>

<p>The FIRST thing you need to do is ask your parents to collaborate on determining your estimated financial contribution. Even though your parents are divorced, both their incomes will be considered. They should use an on-line calculator to get an idea of how much NEED based aid you might be eligible for. </p>

<p>"Average" usually means you get some degree of need based aid. With A's and B's, I wouldn't expect a lot of merit aid, unless there's something lurking in your profile. </p>

<p>For example, coming from South Texas will be a plus in many parts of the country. You didn't mention your ethnic background. If you are not White, you may benefit from diversity quotas. Don't underestimate how important this is.</p>

<p>Focus on those extracurriculars now. Pick a couple of interests and enlarge on them. You don't need a long list, just a good list, that you are sincerely interested in and devote energy to. Small colleges look at the whole person and they want students who will contribute to the campus community.</p>

<p>One more suggestion: Skidmore.</p>

<p>And don't forget to research Questbridge.</p>