Should I repeat my senior year?

<p>Here are my stats:</p>

<p>ACT: 26
SAT 1: 1770
SAT 2: 550 chem 600 math 2 730 math 1
AP: only 2 in all 4 yrs
UW GPA: 3.9/4
W GPA: 4.3/4.8
Awards: Congressional Recognition, Many other state and national level governmental awards
Extracurricular acts: NHS, made really innovative plane, internship as a IT guy, tutoring at places, teaching in third world countries
Hooks: moved to u.s 5 yrs ago, financial probs all the way, poverty, first gen college, tons of adversity (are these even hooks?)</p>

<p>As you can see, my academic rigor and act/sat arent the best. </p>

<p>I really want to go to a top competitive school like stanford or caltech to major in aerospace engineering. Should I repeat 12th grade and take alot of ap classes and retake the test after studying alot? Will it only lower my chances of getting in even more? It is not a major issue since I skipped 6th grade and already am ahead of my peers (im still 15) so I skipping a grade would still place me above the class of 2017.. should i do it?</p>

<p>Most public schools won't let you repeat classes you didn't fail. In some states you can repeat Cs and Ds, but a whole year seems unlikely. You could consider a PG year at a private school but it doesn't sound affordable for your family.</p>

<p>The big issue is, how are you going to get the 400 plus point boost you'll need on the SAT? that's a very unusual score rise. And do you have the ECs and awards these colleges want?</p>

<p>A better plan is probably to go to the best college you can for 2 years and then attempt a transfer. In all reality Stanford and Caltech will be very difficult, but many good schools will be in reach if you do very well. Your state flagship for one.</p>

<p>do you think I can go to GATECH with my stats?</p>

<p>Are you an in-state applicant for GATech? If so, ask your guidance counselor about your chances there. The people at your own school are the ones who are most likely to be able to evaluate your application.</p>

<p>How long have you been studying in schools where English was the language of instruction? If it is only five years, you may want to take the TOEFL. Your score on that exam will give a clearer context for your other test scores and your classroom grades.</p>

<p>Rather than repeating 12th grade, since you are younger than most of your classmates, would you consider taking a gap year between high school and college? Sometimes a well-planned gap year can help improve a students profile for admissions.</p>

<p>What would you define as a well-planned gap year? Jobs in my field? internships? leadership programs?</p>

<p>I am out of state for GATECH</p>

<p>I moved to U.S 5 years and 2 months ago so I can still take it i suppose?</p>

<p>If you go to the Parents Forum, and run a search for threads with Gap Year in the title, you will find lots of useful information.</p>

<p>Do you know how much your family can pay for your education? If you don't, that is probably where your investigation should start. GATech is a fine institution, but chances are that your home state has a public university that offers the major(s) you are interested in. This is another thing that your guidance counselor can help you with.</p>

<p>My assumption is that you are from California. If not, that is OK as the schools that I will talk about below really want out of state students as well. If you are only 15 and you want to study Aerospace engineering here is your answer. Forget repeating your senior year. Don't waste your time or energy. Also, forget Stanford and Cal Tech for the moment. Those schools will not give you the program you want at your academic achievement level. You most likely need more attention and a bit more of a cooperative culture rather than a competitive culture. Apply to Cal Poly San Luis Obispo (SLO) or Cal Poly Pomona for Aerospace engineering. I say this for very specific reasons. (a) "Aviation Week & Space Technology" recently named Cal Poly SLO the best place in the nation to recruit for Aerospace engineers. Cal Poly tops Georgia Tech, Penn State, Virginia Tech and MIT Here is the link: Cal</a> Poly First In Nation for Aerospace and Defense Worker Recruitment</p>

<p>Also, Cal Poly SLO Engineering swept first-, second- and third-place awards in the undergraduate and graduate student design competition sponsored by the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA). Here is that link too: Cal</a> Poly Engineering Sweeps AIAA Student Aircraft Design Competition</p>

<p>Bottom line, Cal Poly SLO is the best place you can go for an undergrad degree in Aerospace and it will save you a bundle of money. Cal Poly Pomona is very good too and if you are still not competitive enough to get into Cal Poly SLO, Cal Poly Pomona is a very good choice. Both schools send many engineers to work at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) at Cal Tech and many other Aerospace firms in California. Graduates from both schools go on to do masters and PhD work at top universities such as Cal Tech, Stanford, USC and others. What you will get at either Cal Poly is a hands on education and tons of opportunities for internships. These are excellent programs and you should research them deeply and seriously consider them. A good example of how powerful these schools are in Aerospace is that the current CEO of Raytheon is a Cal Poly SLO graduate and Cal Poly Pomona grads make up the largest contingent of engineers at JPL -- no joke. This was told to me directly by the program dean at Cal Poly Pomona.</p>

<p>Your current stats qualify you for Cal Poly Pomona. This school is probably the cheapest Aerospace engineering program in California. For Cal Poly SLO, retake the ACT (they prefer that test), HIRE A TUTOR (here is the one we used Compass</a> Education Group ) and if you can get it up to a 29 or above you are in. My son is at Cal Poly SLO now for Mechanical engineering and the average GPA for his entering class was a 4.01 and a 31 ACT. Don't even bother sending in your SAT scores and neither school requires SAT II Subject Tests.</p>

<p>If all else fails, here is the alternate plan: (1) enroll in a community college and take two years of general requirements for an engineering and/or Aerospace major. (2) Since you will be a transfer student you will not need the ACT or SAT. (3) Then apply to transfer to Cal Poly SLO or Cal Poly Pomona.</p>

<p>I hope that this helps. These are great schools that will serve you very well. The reason why these schools are so popular with Aerospace employers and grad schools is that they both have a "hands on / learn by doing" teaching methodology. You will be an experienced Aerospace engineer at the time of graduation will hundreds of hours of lab time and hopefully several real internships under your belt. Do yourself a favor and check out my recommendations. For you, I think that it is the correct path.</p>

<p>Thank you very much....I am checking them out right now..Thank you again. OsakaDad!</p>

<p>Let me find out about their fin. aid and etc. cuz my parents cant afford much...We have about 20k annual income so fin. aid is top priority.</p>

<p>EDIT: NVM I can't apply to Cal Poly Pamona or San Louis because the deadline was Nov. 30th :/ alright...Thanks though</p>

<p>With that kind of income you will get a full ride at either Cal Poly. Good luck!! Glad that I could help. Are you from CA? Also, it is a long shot, but the schools may have Spring or Summer admits. Check it out -- it is worth a try.</p>

<p>OsakaDad..I can't apply to Calpoly...The deadline was nov 30</p>

<p>and no im not from ca</p>

<p>Wait, is the OP a CA resident? That's the only way any aid is possible unfortunately. And yes, that pesky deadline. A gap year might make sense here thoug. Give you time to raise scores and be closer in age to peers.</p>

<p>SLO wants higher scores, I think the OP is looking at Pomona.</p>

<p>What state are you in?</p>

<p>Let's get this out of the way first: DO NOT DO A GAP YEAR! Unless you already are established in a certain industry (say, you write for a few newspapers or are in an unusually high job position for your age at a stable company), a gap year is simply code for "year-round summer vacation." Without a college diploma - let alone a HIGH SCHOOL diploma - there is little chance to do anything productive in a year, save for some supermarket cashiering or telemarketing.</p>

<p>Another thing to get out of the way: your scores are excellent, regardless of your special circumstances. Factoring in the fact that you just moved to the US five years ago and are not high-income, there is a one-hundred percent chance of you getting into a wonderful college. </p>

<p>I would absolutely suggest applying to as many in-state, public universities or even moderately selective private universities as you can. Though you skipped a year, it is far more impressive and productive academically to GO to college - even a less selective one - than repeat a year. If you do well in college, perhaps even study over the summer before your freshman year, you likely excel and be able to transfer. </p>

<p>Remember that it's always better to take forward steps than stay in the same place. Even from a mental perspective, remaining in high school while everyone else graduates will be a major downer for your intellectual stamina. Will you have the same drive and academic enthusiasm the second time around? </p>

<p>Apply to college. Go for it. You can do it!!</p>

<p>Thank you very much for the motivation Sharonm..I do not think I wanna stay in-state</p>

<p>I live in Nevada and it is the worst state for education (ranked 50 or 49 xD) soo...not much hope here unless I wanna be a poker dealer or a bouncer at a bar.</p>

<p>I guess I will go to which ever I can get into..I mean i already got purdue..but its cold up there .. born in a tropical country: no gusta cold plus I dont know their fin. aid as of right now xD</p>

<p>Congratulations on Purdue! I'm sure it will be one of many acceptances to come. Don't stress over financial aid, as many schools are generous out there. And scholarships are plentiful, especially for students born outside of the U.S. with high-acheiving grades and accomplishments.</p>

<p>Good luck! :)</p>

<p>If you are willing to move far from home, I can definitely suggest looking into New York's SUNY and CUNY schools, especially SUNY Stony Brook, Hunter College, and Brooklyn College. Excellent schools with an affordable price tag, even for out-of-state students.</p>

<p>Essentially all of the state schools and many private schools near NV are within academic reach. Research 'em and apply.</p>

<p>Thank you! I will keep applying..most deadlines are on Jan 1 so I better get going!</p>

<p>Is anyone paying attention? This is a very low income student who does not have the stats to get aid from an OOS public! Suggesting them is distracting and downright harmful.</p>

<p>Eeryone might have a different opinion of gap years, but both Harvard and Princeton recommend that all accepted students take one. They've considered making it mandatory. They have found that a productive one helps students mature and they get more focused and productive students.</p>

<p>The OP is fifteen! A year to get his scores higher and to mature could very much benefit him!!</p>

<p>I dont know..this forum is so confusing..lolol conflicting ideas T.T</p>

<p>Listen to Waverly on this one. Waverly has worked in college admissions and knows a thing or two.</p>

<p>You are in a tough position as a low income student. Just about everything will be out of your price range. Yes, some private institutions cough up big need-based financial aid packages, but those are also the hardest places to get into. Yes, some institutions offer big merit-based aid packages, but those scholarships often require very high grades and test scores. Please go read through some of the threads in the Financial Aid Forum, and learn more about this whole issue.</p>

<p>How about going to community college for a year and then transfering to Cal Poly SLO or Cal Poly Pomona? You can either officially enroll at the CC and be a transfer student next year, or can just take classes there and apply as a freshman next year. That way you have a year to mature, but will still be taking classes, which I doubt any college will look down upon, especially when taking into account your age. Then you can submit by next year's deadline.</p>