soph. transf. chances to USC, JHU, & NYU

<p>I was wondering what my chances where at USC and maybe Johns Hopkins and NYU. Any help would be appreciated. Thanx in advance.</p>

<p>My stats:</p>

<p>fullerton college gpa: 4.0
EC: none (part of honors program, but that doesnt count really)
work: none
HS gpa: 3.47 (weighted)
APs: 5 ( one 5, two 3's, and two 2's :( [i actually got a sick gallbladder 2 days before the ap bio exam, so i was doped on all types of medications since the doctor had no idea what it was, and the gallbladder eventually came out later {sorry for the little autobiography there}])
HS ECs: yearbook editor, student government, NHS, some lower-level sports fresh. and soph. year</p>

<p>This past semester I completed 13 units (general chemistry, organismal bio, honors english 100) and dropped one class (will be retaking spring semester) and completing 25 credits this spring semester, hopefully). (cell bio, 2nd part of general chem, honors econ-micro, psychology, sociology, american history after civil war, and calculus 1 (that was the class i dropped in the fall)). I was wondering what effects the W would have on my chances. </p>

<p>I am also sketchy on what community service for a religious affiliation entitles. I am a Jehovah's Witness and as you may or may not know, its a time consuming religion (not that im complaning by any stretch of the imagination) and we do alot of preaching (which we do not get paid for, contrary to what some ppl say) and was wondering if that could be considered community service (the congregation keeps our activity recorded for each month). I am also of mexican descent and first generation to attend college (my older sister only attended one semester of JC so i cant say im the first in my family). If it makes any difference, I will be applying for financial aid. Thanx again for reading and any help would be appreciated.</p>

<p>what are sat scores or ACT scores?</p>

<p>haha, i knew i forgot something....
for SAT 1:600m, 570v
for SAT 2:700 math 1, 590 w, and 780 spanish
got a 27 on the ACT, with a 29 on the science part (hopefully biochem. major (pre-med)) Thanks for reading!</p>

<p>USC-slight reach
Johns Hopkins-major reach
NYU-slight reach</p>

<p>Perhaps add more safety schools to your list.</p>

<p>retake your SATs</p>

<p>lol, thanx for the brutal honesty. i am thinking of retaking the SAT's but I was wondering what each school's policy about retaking the SAT's during college as opposed to HS. I believe I read somewhere that NYU doesn't consider n e SATs that arent from HS. Is this true? How about the other schools? If I stay at comm. college for another year and apply to these universities as a junior transfer, (and hold on to a 4.0), what would be my chances? thanx.</p>

<p>And do some college extracurriculars...</p>

<p>if you can</p>

<p>Yes, that is true about NYU not accepting standardized testing scores taken while you were in college. I would (and so would NYU) say that with each semester of college that you do better your chances increase because you are showing them - three times over if you're a junior transfer - that you really can do it.</p>

<p>USC seems to be a lock with a 4.0. My friend had a 3.3 and got in as a business major. He had no E.C.'s either, and as for high school if you have completed over 30 units by the time you apply, HS grades won't matter. Also if you complete 60 units, you wont have to turn in your SAT's either. Hope this helps!!</p>

<p>Well I currently have 13 units and will have 30 by the end of the spring semester so would H.S grades be a factor then since I haven't yet completed 30 units by the time I apply? Also, can anyone answer the question about preaching being considered community service? Thanks everyone for all your responses.</p>

<p>I'm not really sure about the other colleges, but I think for NYU it will be a factor because you will have only one semester's worth of grades. The thing is, though, they (the admissions officers who run the ugrad admissions forum) keep saying that your most recent work will be the most important factor, so I wouldn't worry TOO much.</p>

<p>I think what happens is that, for every semester you complete, the importance of your high school grades diminish that much more.</p>

<p>I'm not sure if the preaching is considered community service if it's required for you (I'm not really sure how it works), but it's certainly something you can put down for EC's - something that's really important to you. I think in that regard that it will help them get a sense of who you are, and that's one of the best things you can do in an application.</p>

<p>If you can maintain your 4.0 (or close to it) for another year and apply as a Junior, then JHU might be a possibility. They are not too interested in high school grades if you are going in as a Junior. You may want to check on the JHU site for more info on transferring.</p>

<p>Well, you have to decide if you want to start preaching, and once you do, you have to do a min. of 8 hrs of month to be considered "active". Does anyone know if USC takes scores from SAT's taken during college? Also, Ooooojacko mentioned that once you COMPLETE 30 units, high school grades aren't a factor. By the time I apply, I will have 16 and will definately have 30 units by the end of the spring semester, so do they not look at my HS grades in this situation or do I have to COMPLETE 30 units by the time I apply? Thanks guy for all the help you guys are giving me.</p>

<p>After 30 hours, USC does not require SAT scores. HS doesn't matter much after that, either.</p>

<p>It just hit me; there was an Oct. 15, 2005 deadline for Part 1 for transfer applicants. I never got the memo (I wasn't aware this had to be done) so am still able to apply to transfer for Fall 2006? Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>Yes you can apply. Part one is only for the addmin to get to know its incoming student profile. As for you completing 30 units at the end of spring, this will mean your high school grades will be weighted more than college grades. But again to give you some hope, my friend who had trans. with the 3.3 was a sophmore transfer as well. (3.6 average in high school) hope this helps!</p>