State School Reputations

<p>What are the reputations of and stereotypes about schools in your state?</p>

<p>California has a lot of state universities, ranging from very selective (4.0+ GPA with 1400+ SAT CR+M to have a decent chance of admission) to not that selective (2.5 GPA with 900 SAT CR+M gets in as a state resident).</p>

<p>I'll do one - Virginia:</p>

<p>UVA: A bit of a party school but this is supposedly where the academically elite go. They are very proud of the school.
William & Mary: This is also a very good school but doesn't attract as many 'snobbish' kids as Virginia. There are more of the genius eccentric types here.
Washington and Lee: Everyone here is very, very conservative and very intelligent.
Sweet Briar/Hollins: If you go to either of these, you're a horse rider, period; doesn't get as many super intelligent kids as those publics and W&L.</p>

<p>And here's a report from Oklahoma:</p>

<p>Our two big schools are OU (University of Oklahoma) and OSU (Oklahoma State University), both of which are more famous for their athletics than their academics. If you meet baseline requirements (something like a 24 ACT and top 50% of your class or some other guidelines - don't remember exactly) then you're in. Both have really active Greek life too.</p>

<p>Tulsa is a pretty good private school; it's engineering program has a solid reputation, around here at least.</p>

<p>Then there's about nine zillion small schools that I swear all have the same initials (there are too many OCU's and UCO's and the like to even count). </p>

<p>Could probably talk about more different ones, but really OU and OSU are the big ones around here.</p>

<p>^ You must be from OKC runeagle.</p>

<p>In OH:
Ohio State - most well known, most funding, most expensive
Miami U - LAC like public
Ohio U - known for partying, very good journalism
Other area Us (Kent, Wright, Cleveland) all have good programs of some kind and all are relatively affordable.</p>

<p>Rutgers is affectionately called "Slutgers,"
though most acknowledge its strong academic programs.</p>

<p>Actually Miami University has the highest in-state tuition of any of the Ohio public universities.</p>

<p>U of I -> Pretty good, reputable, state school. Top 40 ranked I believe. Rest- NIU, SIU, WIU, party schools.</p>

<p>I'm curious about the local reputation of Case Western and Dennison.</p>

<p>In my neck of the woods U of Florida is the best of the FL State Schools. FSU is also well regarded. Both are also known as good party schools.</p>

<p>Case and Denison are LACs. Both good schools, Case has more emphasis on science and engineering. Denison has more emphasis on English.</p>

<p>I'm from Iowa. We have 3 big state schools: University of Iowa, Iowa State and University of Northern Iowa. We also have some smaller schools that I know nothing about. </p>

<p>Iowa is basically a huge party school. They have a good writing program, a good football team, and a lot of students who party heavily. </p>

<p>ISU is smaller, but more academically serious. It's in the typical little college town with the typical student body on the typical campus. A lot of people who want to study engineering go there. </p>

<p>UNI is the smallest. It's small, in a quiet town, and a lot of people there go home like every weekend. The social scene there is much less exciting than the other two. Lots of teachers get their degrees there.</p>

<p>To get in, there's some formula that takes into account class rank, number of core classes, gpa, and act score. It's not too difficult to get in. Lots of people from my school go to one of the 3, with more people at IA or ISU. I applied to ISU and UNI, with a preference for ISU.</p>

<p>Wisconsin: UW Madison. Need I say more?</p>

<p>A school where you get both parties and academics. Nationally renowned in both categories and a great deal for in-stater's, that's a winning combination in my book.</p>

<p>In Illinois, you have to distinguish between UIUC, UIC and UIS (Springfield), all part of the University of Illinois system. UIUC is top notch in just about everything but has a party side too. UIC is up and coming, sort of top 120 or so. UIS is very limited and much weaker than the other two.</p>

<p>outside the UI system, there are the directional schools of which Northern Illinois and Southern Illinois are the strongest and then Illinois State is not too bad. There are many, many more but these are the top state universities.</p>

<p>NY: called the suny schools, binghamton has become very hard to get into and geneseo is a smaller school but also very goos. suny albany and ssuny oneonta are decent and suny stonybrook is good for science. Then obviously we have some good private schools like columbia, cornell and rochester, and then schools like syracuse and fordahm which are pretty good</p>

<p>
[quote]
Case and Denison are LACs.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Case Western Reserve University is not a liberal arts college. Graduate students outnumber undergrads, 57%-43%. 40 percent of the undergraduate degrees are in professional fields (engineering, business, and health professions).</p>

<p>Of course, the definition of "liberal arts college" does not have well defined boundaries. For example, Sarah Lawrence College is commonly referred to as a "liberal arts college", even though its main offerings are in arguably pre-professional subjects like dance, music, theater, visual arts, and writing (though they also have significant offerings in a few liberal arts subjects like history, literature, and psychology).</p>

<p>Jerseyyyy! This should be fun!</p>

<p>Rutgers: Our state flagship. As someone said, also known as Slutgers. Big football, but also pretty good academics. A lot of REALLY smart people go there. Big party school.</p>

<p>Ramapo: Small state LAC, getting harder to get into, not much of a social scene though.</p>

<p>Montclair: Similar to Ramapo, easier to get into.</p>

<p>Monmouth: Private school by the Jersey Shore. A lot of "Jersey Shore" type people go here; big party school, known for their lax team. </p>

<p>Princeton: Ivy, no one from my town cares about it/ applies. </p>

<p>TCNJ: Really good state LAC; used to be only good for teachers, but now is really really good for just about everything. Not much of a party school.</p>

<p>Rutgers: The AP students from my school hates it because they think of it as only a "safety" or that it is NJ affiliated. The not as smart students see it as their dream school. It's supposedly reputable everywhere in the country/world besides NJ itself.</p>

<p>Princeton: No one thinks of it as being NJ affiliated, just some good Ivy.</p>

<p>TCNJ: Yeah, a good school overall with no apparent party roots.</p>

<p>UMASS-Amherst = party, party, party.</p>

<p>I'm from California, So Cal actually. first of all there are many state schools to choose from; 32 I think. 9 Universities of California and 23 California State Universities. Generally is is said that the UC's are "better" and "favorable" because of their more strict application requirement (3.0 gpa + personal statement). UCLA and UCBerkley are some of the must prestigious, and well known. However, some of the CSU's are world renouned as well, Cal Poly SLO and San Diego State. </p>

<p>Im pretty glad I live in California,.Great School + In-State Tuition!</p>