Transfer admission chances

<p>I am looking to apply to 5-6 schools for the spring semester. I graduated high school with a low end gpa and SAT score (2.49 and 1080). Keep in mind this is the SAT I score. I attended Monroe Community College and did very poorly in the first year due to a tragic issue, but showed a great improvement over intersession, spring, and summer classes. I am now taking a fairly difficult fall course load, and intend on doing very well in these classes. My cumulative GPA is a 2.975. In addition to this, I have been in student government, and have participated in various community service activities. My prospective colleges are as follows:</p>

<p>St. John's University
CUNY: Hunter College
Long Island University, Brooklyn Campus
University at Buffalo
Albany College of Pharmacy
Massachusetts College of Pharmacy</p>

<p>I am also open to any 4-year school in or very close to New York, Toronto, or Boston which offers a pre-pharmacy or pharmacy school option. My grades by semester are:</p>

<p>1st Semester:<br>
Statistics I - W
College Comp - W
Digital Comp and Info Proc - W
History Rock and Roll - C (3 Cr.)</p>

<p>2nd Semester:
Prep Chemistry - F (4 Cr.) (repeat course, grade excluded from gpa)
Prep for College Chemistry - F (4 Cr.) (repeat course, grade excluded from gpa)
College Algebra - F (3 Cr.) (repeat course, grade excluded from gpa)
American National Government - F (3 Cr.) (changed programs, grade excluded from gpa)</p>

<p>3rd Semester:
College Comp - C (3 Cr.)
College Algebra - W</p>

<p>Intersession:
Intro to Psych - A (3 Cr.)</p>

<p>4th Semester:
Prep for College Chemistry - B+ (4 Cr.)
College Algebra - B (3 Cr.)</p>

<p>Summer:
General College Chemistry I - B (4 Cr.)
Precalculus - B+ (4 Cr.)</p>

<p>Fall courses:
General Biology I (4 Cr.)
General College Chemistry II (4 Cr.)
Introduction to Safety and Emergency Care (3 Cr.)
Calculus I (4 Cr.)</p>

<p>Transfer credits:
C++ Programming (3 Cr.)
Intro to Comp. Sci (4 Cr.)</p>

<p>I understand the severity of my poor grades for the first year, and I was limited by my college to the number of credit hours I was able to take for the next year, so I worked within my limitations, achieved a dramatic change in grades, and tackled a heavy workload under a condensed schedule. Should this be enough to apply to the colleges I am considering? I feel that my record, although off to a very rough start, shows significant improvement, the ability to handle reasonably difficult material, and over a condensed timeframe. Is this a reasonable list of colleges for someone in my position? I am open to suggestions as well.</p>

<p>You need to wait another one to three semesters before applying anyplace.</p>

<p>Here's the reason:</p>

<p>As you have admitted yourself, you did poorly in high school--and your SAT is low.</p>

<p>Then you went to college--and in your first three semesters you took 10 classes and passed only two of them. And one of these was "History of Rock and Roll"--not exactly what one would call a challenging course. Keep in mind also that while your GPA is 2.95 or so, the colleges will see the courses and grades you got, even though the grades are no longer in the GPA.</p>

<p>Now you've gotten your act together--but you've only taken and passed five classes over the course of a full year-and a summer session. No college is going to admit you until you have a lot more credits and therefore have shown that you can maintain your momentum.</p>

<p>By waiting you also have the advantage of not having to submit your high school transcript and SAT scores. Most colleges will not require this once you have finished somewhere between 45 and 60 credits successfully. </p>

<p>When you get this many units completed and you apply for college, just explain that the first year in college you had some personal issues that prevented you from doing the work--and that since then you are more focused (all true). Most of the colleges on your list will then let you in. They understand that people occasionally have problems--and the colleges you listed work with people who need to work while they are in school--which appears to be your situation as well.</p>