Transferring to Berkeley from USC

<p>Hi everyone. I am from Northern California, got into all the UC schools and USC and chose to go to USC. I've realized that the LA culture just isn't for me, and I would like to go back to Northern California. I understand I gave up a golden (no pun intended) opportunity by passing up UC Berkeley, but I would like to make up for this by reapplying there. I have a couple questions about this:</p>

<p>1) I heard that because I got in in the first place that I have the option to "re-open" my application so I don't have to reapply. Is this true? I highly doubt it, but apparently its possible. But if not:</p>

<p>2) How difficult will it be for me to get in there? I was a star in high school, ranked in the top 10 in a class of 350. I got a 2150 SAT, 32 ACT, 800 Math2C, 760 US History with a 4.3 Weighted GPA, 3.85 unweighted. How much will this weigh into their decision to let me in again? I have heard its much more difficult to transfer to a UC, but I feel that since I got in there in the first place I should have a good chance. Also, I was in an "ELC" program when applying to UC schools, which was where they took the top 4% of high school classes and basically put their applications in a seperate pile when grading them. This was not for my highschool alone, it was for all of california, such that like 80% of all ELC kids get into berkeley.</p>

<p>edit: I was also on a VERY succesful rowing team for 4 years in highschool, and was being nationally recruited for coxing for a while, though I didn't want to go to a school on the East coast and I knew I could get into Berkeley without being recruited. Still, it was a 4 year committment that was year round, 2.5 hours a day for my extracurricular activity, as well as working 12-16 hours a week at a bakery during the year.</p>

<p>I'm wondering what I need to do while I am here at USC, besides do very well in my classes, in order to ensure that I get into Berkeley. I'm looking forward to getting input from those who have transferred before, or know about the process!!! thanks all.</p>

<p>edit #2: I would also like to hear your feelings on me getting into stanford. This would actually be my #1 choice for transfer, but I did NOT get into it in the first place, and doubt I could a second time, but I really have no idea. I don't think I got in in the first place because of my essay, but who knows really.</p>

<p>You will have to reapply for admission as a junior, there are no soph transfers. Your HS grades and scores won't be looked at. First priority is given to community college transfers and then other CA residents. How hard it will be, and it will be fairly hard regardless, will depend on your major. Business and engineering being the hardest.</p>

<p>Stanford will look at high school. In all honesty, your stats were not strong for Stanford. I would retake the SATI.</p>

<p>Are you positive that its not possible to transfer as a sophomore? There is the option to on the application. Is that for all UC schools, or only berkeley?</p>

<p>while some campuses will accept Soph transfers, it appears that Cal will not. </p>

<p><a href="http://transfer.berkeley.edu/prospective.htm%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://transfer.berkeley.edu/prospective.htm&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Call to confirm, but from their website: </p>

<p>"Transfer admission is limited to students who have or will have completed a minimum of 60 UC-transferable semester units by the end of the spring semester. As a junior transfer applicant, you must indicate your intended major on the UC application, as your application for admission will be reviewed based on the completion of prerequisite courses for a particular academic program at Berkeley. For more information about specific course and unit requirements for transfer students, please check the links at the right side of this page."</p>

<p>i actually know of a person who transfered from usc to ucla after 1 year, i dunno if the same goes for berkley though</p>

<p>Hey everyone, I have an update on my situation.</p>

<p>I found out I am eligible to transfer next year!!! Why? Because i took so many AP and college courses in high school that I already have a year of college under my belt, according to UC standards. That is, I will have about 65 units of credit at the end of this year.</p>

<p>So, back to the original question: I'm wondering what I need to do while I am here at USC, besides do very well in my classes, in order to ensure that I get into Berkeley. I am currently majoring in business, but would apply to be an economics major at Berkeley. I'm looking forward to getting input from those who have transferred before, or know about the process!!! thanks all.</p>

<p>Curiosity on my part-I understand you are from No.Cal and you elected to go to USC as a way to experience So.Cal. My D is also in the ELC group of seniors this year-and we live in No.Cal. Any words of advice?</p>

<p>NorCal>SoCal in my opinion. Norcal has better weather, less frenzy, better academic and that "it" environment... I dunno. NorCal just felt SPECIAL to me.</p>