U Chicago, Haverford, Bucknell

<p>I'm writing this mostly because I need to decide whether to spend the money to visit the U Chicago or not. Obviously no one knows for sure if i can get in, but, given that my chances may be week, would it be advantageous to just wait to see if I get in before visiting? I'm aware that my GPA is week, but has anyone had any experience with someone with similar stats being accepted to any of these schools? And i figured why not ask about my other two schools as well :p</p>

<p>Student:</p>

<p>User Name: alexsmol
College Class Year: 2012
High School: Public
High School Type: sends many grads to top schools
Will apply for financial aid: Yes</p>

<p>Academics:</p>

<p>GPA - Unweighted: 3.64
GPA - Weighted: 3.99
Class Rank: other
Class Size: 605</p>

<p>Scores:</p>

<p>SAT I Math: 700
SAT I Critical Reading: 720
SAT I Writing: 770
SAT II Literature: 690
SAT II Math Level 2 (IIC): 770
SAT II Chemistry: 730</p>

<p>Extracurriculars:</p>

<p>· Cross Country 10,11, varsity: 12
· Winter Track 11,12
· Spring Track 9,10,11,12
· Pit Orchestra 10
· Reading Olympics 10, 11
· Building with Books 11
· Odyssey of the mind 11
· Foreign Policy Research Institute Lecture Series 9
· Barns and Noble Classics Book Club 9
· Csehy Summer school of Music 9, 10
· Sonus Marabolus, music ensemble 9</p>

<p>Awards:
· National Merit Finalist 12
· AP Scholar Award 11
· National Honor Society 11,12
· National Latin Exam, gold medal 9,11
· National Mythology Exam, Gold medal 9
· Scholastic National Writing Award, Gold Medallist for creative writing 9
· Writing Magazine fiction contest, honorable mention and publication 9
· VFW Voice of Democracy, 1st place post, 3rd place regional
· Publication of art in Teen Inc 10
· American Math Competition, advancement to 2nd round 10
· Odyssey of the mind, 1st place regional, 3rd place states 11Reading Olympics, blue ribbon 10,11
· Summa Cum Loude from the Philadelphia Classics society for art, sculpture and writing 9
· 24 hour relay 2nd place team finish, most individual inspirational runner award</p>

<p>Also as a side note, i attended 9th grade at a small privet school, getting all As in Honors, but could not transfer these grades to my GPA (my GC made a note of this on my transcript)</p>

<p>I would personally say:
Chicago: Low reach, depending a lot on letters/essays
Haverford: Match
Bucknell: Low match/high safety</p>

<p>bump please?</p>

<p>I think you have a good chance at all three... I am very familiar with Haverford and Bucknell. You chose 3 very different schools. It is really important that you understand where you'll be most happy. My daughter thought Haverford was the perfect school for her until she visited. After visiting Bucknell, she knew that was the place for her... </p>

<p>I guess what I'm saying is that a visit is really important because all the college reviews (Fiske, Princeton Review, etc...) and college websites don't give you a feel for where you'll be most comfortable living and learning for 4 years. </p>

<p>Also, in most cases a visit will boost your chances in admissions!</p>

<p>Your test scores are below U of C standards, but you have pretty good ECs.The question you have to ask yourself if you are going to apply to U of C is "do I love to learn" if you do: then check it out, if you don't: THEN DO NOT BOTHER.</p>

<p>thanks guys, does any one else know anything particularly about the schools or anyone with similar stats that applied in the past?</p>

<p>bump please?</p>

<p>What does bump mean?</p>

<p>i have no idea, i'm guessing it means a new post, i just joined this site 5 hours ago.
Nice extra curriculars, however it seemed the height of your academic career was as a freshman, which might lower the appeal of your ec's. Good luck with U Chicago, i personally want to go there as well, they have a fantastic math program plus they make you well rounded so that nothing is really esoteric but common knowledge with everyone.</p>