UC Davis or Saint Mary's

<p>I am so stuck and I need help TODAY. Today is the final day I can make this decision.
First off, I'm a really great student. My average cumulative GPA is a 4.0 for my high school career and secondly, I LOVE UC DAVIS.</p>

<p>YET.</p>

<p>I've made the decision to go to Saint Mary's because of the worsening financial situation with the UCs and I've been crying for a few days because it hurts to break up with Davis. Yes, this sounds ridiculous, but Davis is my dream school. If the government's situation were better I would go there, but it seems private is the right choice as of now.</p>

<p>Did I make the right decision?? Do I have reason to be crying over not being an Aggie or should I suck it up :(</p>

<p>What was the financial problem? Was it that you could not afford UC-Davis or that you just decided that you did not want to deal with the situation at the UC's?</p>

<p>Both schools are great - very different, though. </p>

<p>You will get an amazing education wherever you go. Did you get a merit scholarship at St Mary's giving you a better deal?</p>

<p>You may also consider UC Davis for grad school, if you do decide to go to St. Mary's for undergrad...</p>

<p>If you can afford it, I would go with UC-Davis. If you cannot, I would go with St. Mary's.</p>

<p>Good luck with your final decision! Know though that both are excellent schools, you can't go wrong with either school.</p>

<p>My parents told me we can afford both, because I'm getting a lot of aid from Saint Mary's and when it comes down to it, it's only about $3,000 more a year, so money actually isn't an issue luckily.</p>

<p>My concern is I am really attached to UC Davis. I thought I was going there for the past month. I accepted my offer of admission and declined Saint Mary's, but just this past week, my parents and I reconsidered going to a UC because of the economy and troube getting classes and such.
Does anyone know anyone who goes to Davis or some other UC and can tell me if it's really THAT bad??</p>

<p>Because we got Saint Mary's to let me back in, even after declining them, and as of right now I'm going there, but I already miss being an Aggie :((</p>

<p>It sounds like you've decided. What will help you move on?</p>

<p>If you're really attached to UC-Davis you should go there. It's not the best conditions right now but UC-Davis is still a really good school.</p>

<p>If you've decided though to go to Saint Mary's, just try and forget about it and look forward to your freshman year at Saint Mary's!</p>

<p>Yes, it was that we're nervous about the worsening situation with the UCs. I don't want to deal with the stress of not getting classes and graduating in 5 years, but now I'm feeling like maybe it's worth it because I love the school so much. I still want to say GO AGGIES but I'm a Gael now, and for some reason I'm not proud of that :/</p>

<p>Yeah, I did already decide. I think I can move on, it's just really hard. I wish things weren't so bad. Thanks guys! I think I need to accept that Saint Mary's is a great school regardless of what rankings and what not may tell you.
Honestly, I just wish it had a more vibrant campus life. I hear everyone goes home on the weekends... And when I stayed overnight there I couldn't even tell class was in session it was so quiet! Not my ideal college experience, but the education is still solid.</p>

<p>That's the attitude. Don't listen to what people tell you about UC-Davis and how much better it is. If you work hard at St. Mary's, you'll get an excellent education there. Have fun at college!</p>

<p>It's hard to move on, sometimes. We don't always get into our first choice schools or get the job or promotions that we want in life. It's what we learn along the way that shape us into the people we will be. </p>

<p>St. Mary's is a quiet campus...true. You will make friends and learn much in the process. If, by chance it really isn't for you, apply as a transfer after two years. Just follow the IGETC rules in case that is a possiblility of a transfer. </p>

<p>The staff and professors are amazing at St. Mary's and will go out of their way to help you. </p>

<p>If you want to go into San Francisco, it's not that far away, either.</p>

<p>Yeah, I think this is just harder because I'M making the decision to not go for what I love. I just hope it's the right one. Thank you.</p>

<p>private message historymom. She will get you psyched about St. Marys!</p>

<p>haha Really! Does she teach there or something? :P</p>

<p>She has two kids there. A friend of my D is there and likes it too.</p>

<p>Those are two very different campuses! I would recommend you go to UC Davis because it is where you want to go but isn't it too late? Most of the problems I've heard about with the budget cuts are with the Cal States and not the UCs, but I don't know if the UCs are also having the same issues. </p>

<p>My son is going to Saint Mary's in the fall and is really looking forward to it. He wants a small campus, has visited several times and it seems like a very good fit for him. However, he did not want a large UC and was seeking out smaller schools in NorCal. </p>

<p>I think Saint Mary's is a great fit for students looking for a more intimate environment--the professors will know them, they will know many of their classmates, etc. Can you see yourself thriving in this type of college?</p>

<p>Ohp! Guys, my parents have noticed how down I am, so we sat down and talked about it AGAIN. Luckily, we didnt tell Davis anything about me not planning on attending anymore soooo my Mom's talking to Saint Mary's and I am OFFICIALLY AN AGGIE AGAIN!!! WOOOOOOOOOOH =]]]]]]]] GO AGGIES!!</p>

<p>Congrats on your decision!</p>