UMC ["upper middle class"] Struggling with Inflation

I’m confused… not sure what you’re trying to say or who you’re responding to (in order to try to get some context).

1 Like

I’m just kidding, not responding to anyone regarding shortage of workers.

1 Like

Wow, @Creekland. You are a poster of unsuspected depths! Until now, I knew nothing about your background.

2 Likes

Travel is one thing we spend on… (see Avatar). We Creeklanders love exploring the planet. That’s why we also like doing what we can to care for it - and why we know people-wise, there are good, bad, and ugly everywhere. Loud people make the news (sometimes - pending country and news source), but they aren’t always representative of the folks we encounter.

When we travel, we usually take a carry on and backpack each, even for longer trips. If a suitcase is involved, it’s for our scuba equipment that we want to have - the rest gets rented.

By not spending on other things, we have enough when we want something to get it - esp since our wants are few and far between. How many pairs of shoes do I have? Four, unless hiking boots count, then five. Two of them I haven’t worn since I left school. The boots and my everyday sneakers get worn daily. I have a pair of sandals that gets worn occasionally, plus travels.

Our youngest son and DIL put our minimalism to shame though, so I suppose we’re moderate? They just built themselves a tiny house in Puerto Rico using earthbags. We watch, but that’s beyond my limit.

Anyone interested in his “stuff” can search Jardin de Aibonito on FB.

On CC I often feel like an exchange student TBH, but I enjoy getting to know people. Their being different from me isn’t a problem at all as long as they aren’t jerks (to me or others).

11 Likes

If I am a line cook and someone is going to offer me $2-5 more per hour to leave to go to their place helps me. If I leave and current place of employment becomes short staffed then that is their problem. That is just capitalism.

Of course money isn’t the only reason to leave and doesn’t fix all issues, but it definitely can help.

I agree there is a limit on what people will pay to eat out. We all face those decisions practically everyday. And the older you are the tougher it is to pay for that more expensive burger or movie ticket or sports ticket. Not because you don’t necessarily have the money, but more because you remember when it was much cheaper. When I moved to Chicago many years ago my buddy’s Bears tickets were like $38-40 and now they are like $115-125. I just don’t want to pay that much to see them play and the hassle of driving down there. There are tons of things like that.

All that being said people love to tout Capitalism when it benefits them and not so much when it doesn’t. Back in 2009-10 when unemployment was 9-10% you could hire anyone for low wages. Now the tide has turned and businesses are complaining.

10 Likes

I also remember when I started a part time job in high school and made $1.50/hour.

2 Likes

Another example of this is the socialization of the finance industry’s losses in 2009, even though in other times the finance industry does well in privatizing an increasing share of economic gains for itself. Things like that can happen if you make yourself a critical piece of a well functioning economy that is “too big to fail”.

Our D has been lucky, her landlord has not and has no plans to raise the rent. Then again, her landlord doesn’t really need the money. They just use it to make improvements on the house and have some extra money. Her landlord is aware that it’s hard out there for renters and she is being very understanding. We know people who are landlords and they aren’t raising the rent on their tenets either, but then again, most people we know who are landlords (and it’s not many) can afford to not increase the rent…

We don’t live paycheck to paycheck, but we have felt the cost of gas. We try to go to Costco which has the cheapest gas in our area.

2 Likes

D2 was very lucky when her lease renewed in April and the landlord did not increase the rent at all. He told D2 and her roommates that he is very happy having 3 young professionals living and working in his townhouse versus the UCSD students that mostly try to rent in this area and cram 6 people into a two bedroom plus an office.

1 Like

That’s great! My D lived in an apartment complex (owned by a big property management company) and they raised the rent every year. After her second year, they were going to raise the rent even more and D moved out. While the apartment complex was pretty decent, my D felt it wasn’t worth the rent they were charging. Plus, the office had high turnover and they would take forever to get anything done and they weren’t very friendly or helpful. D found a room in a home owned by a private landlord. She has had great luck and the landlord hasn’t raised the rent. Then again, the landlord is older, they’ve owned the house for 15 plus years and they can afford to maintain the house and not increase the rent.

In the house my D rents, the front yard is xeriscape with drip irrigation, so no lawnmowing needed. The backyard is all concrete with some potted plants that belong to the tenants and are their responsibility…

I agree. The people that almost caused the demise of the Global Financial System did not feel enough pain when they were bailed out. But a lot of families did feel significant pain.

‘The Big Short’ & ‘Too Big to Fail’ should be required viewing for everyone. The system had holes and people were taking advantage of them to make money and in some cases a lot of money. Then they knew the gov’t would bail them out. Yet, 8-10 years later if a family needs help people say they are lazy and don’t want to work.

5 Likes

Gas is $3.89 today at my Costco :+1: As I mentioned upthread, increases in fuel costs were significantly pinching our budget, so this is some welcome relief for us. Still treating dining out as an indulgence that we plan for, though, as I don’t see those costs coming down any time soon.

3 Likes

Inflation is so bad, it’s like shopping at Whole Foods everyday.

6 Likes

I do hear you. But I just try to be creative and take advantage of what is on sale at the grocery store.

2 Likes