University of California's national standing

<p>I have a question about the University of California's standing in the rest of the country (which I will call UC from now on, I wanted to make the distinction between this and U of C) . How does someone on the east coast/mid-west/south view a degree from one of the UC campuses (Davis, Irvine, Santa Cruz etc).</p>

<p>Oh by the way, I'm excluding Berkeley and UCLA. This is specifically for the mid-tiered UCs.</p>

<p>I mean UCD is only 6 spots below Boston College in USN&WR rankings, but everyone's heard of BC and people generally know that BC is a good school. But I don't know if I can say the same of any of the UCs.</p>

<p>It seems to me that rankings are biased towards science institutions because of research $, citations, awards etc. And in this respect, the UCs have a leg up. But does this mean that this ranking is inflated? </p>

<p>How would a non-science major fare in the national job market (remember, excluding Berkeley and UCLA)?</p>

<p>The reason I'm asking is that I"m kind of on the fence between UCSC and UCD. Here in California, most people will know that UCD is a great school that's pretty hard to get into and that UCSC is a much lower school than UCD. But would this mean anything outside of CA? Does this mean anything IN California?</p>

<p>Go to the best overall school you can afford.</p>

<p>Here in NY, most of my friends aren't familiar with the situation of any public UC schools besides UCLA and Berkeley. Before I came on college confidential, I didn't know know what the difference was between UCSC and UCD (actually, I don't think I even knew what those acronyms stood for)</p>

<p>There was a long thread about this recently. Search it.</p>

<p>About the UC system specifically?</p>

<p>UCD is widely acknowledged as a strong school (especially in physical sciences).</p>

<p>
[quote]
About the UC system specifically?

[/quote]

Yes, but I think it got deleted.</p>

<p>It was in the "College Admissions" section...titled something like "University of California reputation outside CA."</p>

<p>Why was it deleted? Closed to deleted all together?</p>

<p>Never mind why it was deleted. Back on topic</p>