Various Misconceptions and Misbeliefs about Colleges

<p>"1. Georgetown, Duke, Vandy, Wustl, and Cal are all actually Ivies."</p>

<p>? uh, no, they're not.</p>

<h1>60+ whatever---Cornell and Brown are the lower Ivies. Yeah they're easy to get in to and the students are average.</h1>

<p>Myth: "Cornell should remain in the Ivy League"</p>

<p>^ Myth: u penn != penn state
yea grow up thank you :)</p>

<p>I keed, I keed. <em>Hugs Cornell</em></p>

<p>But anyways, this is a great list warbler.</p>

<p>What are we up to? 70ish?</p>

<ol>
<li> Low-income students can go anywhere they want for free.</li>
</ol>

<p>Why applicannot not applican't? :)</p>

<p>I wonder what the opinion of hawkette is about (myth) number 1?</p>

<p>
[quote]
Why applicannot not applican't?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>It's simply more proper!</p>

<p>Yes, you seem to be a proper young lady! :)</p>

<ol>
<li>Most students apply to more than three colleges.</li>
</ol>

<p>In reality, only 44% do. I can't believe I forgot that one! CCers are part of the 3% (tiny!) of seniors who apply to 10+ schools and tend to think that this is the norm.</p>

<p>To update the additions:</p>

<ol>
<li>All science and engineering TAs are poor teachers and can't speak any English.</li>
<li>The entire UC system is headed for the trash heap because of the budget crisis.</li>
<li>LACs are for everyone because they have an undergrad focus.</li>
<li>Academically acclaimed profs never teach undergrads.</li>
<li>If your school is not a "target" for bulge bracket IB'ing, it's crap.</li>
<li>You'll never learn anything from somebody who scored 1900 or below on the SAT.</li>
<li>All the students at Seven Sisters are lesbians or will be by graduation.</li>
<li>Students that attend colleges ranked outside of the Top 25 are screwed for life. </li>
<li>Everybody knows that the athletes at highly ranked colleges like Stanford, Duke, Northwestern, Rice, Vanderbilt and Notre Dame could never cut it academically on an Ivy campus.</li>
<li>Don't bother visiting colleges. Talking to internet experts about prestige is the best way to find out where you should go to college.</li>
<li>St. John's College is a good place to study Classics.</li>
<li>Cornell and Brown are the lower Ivies. (Variation: Lower Ivies exist.)</li>
<li>Low-income students can go anywhere they want for free. </li>
<li>Most students apply to more than three colleges.</li>
</ol>

<p>I'd be very surprised if that percentage is not much higher for students trying for schools in the top 25 or so.</p>

<p>Love the list, though!</p>

<ol>
<li>You need a 3.6+ GPA in your undergraduate to be competitive for most medical schools, unless you attend WUSTL, in which case you can do with a 3.5+</li>
</ol>

<p>not really sure if this is a misconception or actually true</p>

<ol>
<li>Cornell is not a real Ivy. </li>
<li>Real Ivy League colleges don't offer engineering. Well, if they do, they're crap.</li>
<li>All classes at Brown are Pass/Fail (even the few that aren't Ceramics or Gender Studies.)</li>
</ol>

<p>
[quote]
not really sure if this is a misconception or actually true

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Medical school admissions, especially with respect to one's GPA, are highly competitive these days.</p>

<ol>
<li>If you're a URM with 1.3 and a 300 out of 2400 SAT score, you have your choice of any top 25 school in the country.</li>
</ol>

<ol>
<li>The only kids who go to non-flagship state u's are partiers who really don't care about school.</li>
</ol>

<ol>
<li>You didn't build houses in Uzbekistan or find a cure for cancer? ECs look weak. Have fun in community college.</li>
</ol>

<ol>
<li>Ivy League engineering is a joke. Yale engineers end up jobless.</li>
</ol>

<p>is that true? coz i'm considering ivy for engineering.. lol</p>