Washington U in St. Louis or University of Edinburgh?

<p>I have a dilemma...</p>

<p>I was accepted into WashU with the summer scholars biomedical research scholarship, and I think it'd be a great opportunity. If I attend, I will most likely study either BioMEng, or PNP.</p>

<p>I recently applied to University of Edinburgh (in Scotland). And I think it'd be an absolutely wonderful experience to go there. I would study Cognitive Science in Edinburgh.</p>

<p>But I really can't decide between these two. I think Edinburgh would be the experience of the lifetime, but obviously, WashU is the more "conventional" choice. Any advice? Especially from parents would be appreciated...</p>

<p>Are you an American? If so, realize that with the dollar in the dumps, it will be enormously expensive for you to attend school in Scotland without scholarships...</p>

<p>Yeah, I'm from the US. Tuition ends up being about £15K including accommodation, tuition, travel, etc. I would probably take out a loan and work while studying there.</p>

<p>I don't know how much WashU will end up being. I think my aid package is due in the coming weeks, but I imagine it'll be about the same (dollar-wise).</p>

<p>WASHINGTON U.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...i have heard that it carries a lot more weight in the name recognition factor when applying fro jobs in US...i know some people from my school going to edinburgh next year and they definately did not have the credentials to get into a school like wash u...we're talkin 3.0-3.3 and 1250 SATs....jobs know that</p>

<p>Washington University.</p>

<p>I am an American who goes to school at a U.S Dept. of Defense school in North Yorkshire, England, about 180 miles south of Edinburgh. Having lived in England for ten years, personally I would choose Washington U. The weather here is lousy (even worse up in Scotland) and to purchase anything - movie tickets, meals, supplies - is very expensive. I've applied to Stanford, Santa Clara, Claremont McKenna and Pitzer - give me some warmth!</p>

<p>If you plan on going to grad school I would go to Edinburgh.</p>

<p>Go to WashU, and plan to do your junior year abroad in the Informatics School (studying cognitive science) at Edinburgh. If WashU doesn't participate in a direct exchange/foreign study program there, they no doubt have a system to help place you there.</p>

<p>I was about to post the following: </p>

<p>WashU offers study abroad in Edinburgh for its PNP (Philosophy-Neuroscience-Psychology) major. </p>

<p>Overseas</a> Programs: Programs</p>

<p>Or, if you major in biology (and want a pre-med program) </p>

<p>or also for biology:</p>

<p>I have spent a lot of time in scotland (scottish bf)...i was there from june-sept. last summer. It definitely is enormously expensive. you'd hardly ever be able to go home (which is hard as a freshman), and I think its definitely more cost effective and just a better idea to go to WashU. Weather in Scotland is pretty bad...rainy and really cold (fun fact: highest temp ever recorded in Scotland is 91 degrees F). Also take into consideration (if you haven't already), that most of the student housing is "self-catering," so you'd have to include food costs into your budget. WashU will most definitely be cheaper. </p>

<p>Also take into consideration culture-shock. Obviously its a very similar culture, but its different enough that I think going to school there as a freshman would be very difficult. Scottish food is pretty bad (its similar to ours...only different enough to be weird. think cheese-filled sausage wrapped in bacon and deep fried, yum!), and I just think overall it'd be a really difficult transition. </p>

<p>Go to WashU and do a semester or year abroad!</p>

<p>And if lack of light in winter bothers you, note that the sun rises an hour later and sets 90 minutes earlier in the dead of winter in Edinburgh compared to St. Louis. But 'tis a lovely country--I join the vote for year abroad.</p>

<p>if you go to Pitzer let me know - my daughter, also a Yorkshire lass, is a freshman there.</p>