What is to be done?

<p>So here are my options:</p>

<p>Option 1: Go to UCSD, but I will only recieve $7,800 in Cal Grant A. I take out about $6,000 in student loans and my parents take out $11,000.
Pro: Immediate college experiences
Con: Debt, this was my safety and far from #1 or even #5</p>

<p>Option 2: Attend the local community college and transfer to Cal or a private (or at the least to UCSD?)
Pro: Save money
Con: Less college experiences, disadvantaged friend-wise by coming to a campus late, remain at home (boring), less academically challenging, </p>

<p>As a sidenote, I'm waitlisted at Carolina, but I doubt I'll get in. </p>

<p>Also, is financial aid likely to be less for transfer students and how common are scholarships for transfer students?</p>

<p>Finally, would it be possible to transfer out of the community college in 1 year if I do well on all my APs?
Here are my current scores:
AP Euro-5
AP Spanish-3
AP Calc AB-5
AP Bio-3
AP English Lang-5
AP USH-5</p>

<p>Here are the AP tests I'll take in May:
AP US Gov't
AP Comparative Gov't
AP Stats
AP Micro
AP Macro
AP English Lit
AP Physics B</p>

<p>Any advice is appreciated, thanks.</p>

<p>I presume you are in-state for CA? Why in the world would you be concerned about debt for UCSD while being on the waitlist for Carolina? Isn't that Much more expensive for OOS?</p>

<p>That's true, but technically I haven't received any financial aid info so I can't make that statement yet. Also, I would be willing to take some debt (not a tremendous amount, of course) since Carolina was in in my top 3.
However, that's all beside the point since I doubt I'll get off the waitlist.</p>

<p>If you can cobble together 60 units, you can transfer in 1 year. The UC's make getting credit for AP's easy, you just need a 3.</p>

<p>According to this: Advanced</a> Placement Examinations</p>

<p>Right now, I have 29.3 units?</p>

<p>If I pass all my APs this year (which I'm confident I can except for physics), I could have 53.2 units?</p>

<p>Does anyone have any advice between those two options?</p>

<p>Take option 2. Follow the advice of your transfer counselor so that your transfer process goes smoothly and you get into the UC or Cal State you want. With your APs, you could easily be at a UC or a Cal State after only one more year at home.</p>