What school should I apply to early?

<p>I'm currently a junior and I would like to apply to a college in New England, since I live in Massachusetts. My reach schools would be Brown, Yale, and Harvard. My best fit school would be Boston College and my safety schools would be Boston University, UMass Amherst, and Northeastern. </p>

<p>I'm wondering if I should apply to an ivy early, or play it safe and apply to BC early. I would like to get into whatever college I apply early to, and I'm wondering if my credentials are good enough to get into an ivy early admissions. </p>

<p>I've taken all honors classes since freshman year and my GPA for 9th and 10th grade is a 3.65 and my weighted is 4.2 (we don't know our current GPAs at my school yet, but my GPA is going to go up). I can give you my semester grades for my junior classes though: </p>

<p>AP English Language: A
AP US History: A-
Honors PreCalculus: B+
Honors Physics: B
Honors French 4: A </p>

<p>Also, perfect attendance since freshman year. </p>

<p>ECs/awards: Band since freshman year, Band officer sophomore year, Bari Sax section leader since sophomore year, pep band since freshman year, marching band since freshman year, Chorus member since freshman year, selected for the Junior District Festival for vocals freshman year, French Club since freshman year, NHS member this year, Basketball and Tennis since freshman year, Field Hockey sophomore year only (but I never really excelled at these sports, I'm always on JV). Self-taught at the piano, I play the organ during services at my church, I help run the children's choir. 100+ hours of community service done. </p>

<p>Jobs: 9th, 10th, 11th grade I worked for an organization called Healthy Girl, Healthy Women where we traveled around Boston to different community centers where we taught young girls about nutrition, physical activity, healthy relationships, and body image. This year I started working for a private tutoring company called Aristotle Circle, and I tutor in my neighborhood as well. Next year I plan on working for my aunt who runs a really big organization against violence in Boston communities. Through her, I've met Harvard alums and professors who have given me tips on how to get into ivies (I don't know if that helps though). </p>

<p>Hook: I'm African-American, I suppose that's a hook </p>

<p>I haven't taken SAT's yet, I'm taking it in May. I've signed up for prep classes at MIT that start the end of this month and I've been taking online practice tests.</p>

<p>it’s way too early to tell much of anything about your chances at these schools, esp. without the SATs. </p>

<p>No one can tell you if you’ll get into an ivy. There’s too much we don’t know about you and about the class the ivy is putting together. I can tell you that plenty of people who apply with your stats don’t get in. </p>

<p>Focus on doing well every day this semester and bringing up your GPA and scoring well on the SAT. Set goals and measure your success by midterm. Perhaps a 4.0 is possible this semester. Study 15 minutes each day for the SAT. Don’t go to bed without studying but try to study earlier in the day when you’re more fresh. A good goal for the SAT might for you be 2300. You could get a 2400 and still not get in, of course, to the ivys.</p>

<p>The other schools are within reach. Now where do you think the money is coming from to pay for your dreams? Have you sat down with your parents, the net price calculators, and their latest tax forms to figure out what college is going to cost you and them? It is called the Estimated Family Contribution (EFC), and it is the most important number in any of this discussion. If you cannot afford a school there’s no good to come from thinking about it. You’ll hear lots of things about money and this or that college, but all that matters is what your grades and stats can bring you in financial aid, either merit or grant. After you get the SAT scores back, punch them and all the other data in to the net price calculator and you’ll have a better idea where you can afford to go to school. Almost certainly the EFC is going to shock someone if you are middle-class.</p>

<p>Come back and see us after you’ve run the npc in June.</p>

<p>Ivy schools are tough for everyone but you have a chance. Like the poster above me said really try to do well on the ACT/SAT like a 2300+ on SAT and 35+ on ACT for Ivies. For the other non Ivy schools you listed I’d say a 30+ ACT or 2000+ SAT. I personally got into Northeastern (honors) and I think applying EA there helped a lot. I’d recommend applying EA to most of the schools that you can only because it’s a relief to know if you got in or not early and it’s easier to get financial aid when you apply early to some schools. Good luck on the SAT! :)</p>

<p>I’m sure you’ll be a person of interest to many selective colleges and universities. </p>

<p>As Jkeil notes, the most important thing to do now is to clarify your finances. Will you need financial aid to attend a private school? If yes, does your family qualify for need based aid, or do you need merit aid? The answers to these questions will hugely impact your list and, to a lesser extent, whether it’s a good idea to apply early decision anywhere.</p>

<p>If your family is low income, contact QuestBridge right away.</p>

<p>I would also familiarize yourself with some of the excellent small liberal arts colleges in New England. Some of these, especially those located outside of urban centers, actively recruit high achieving African Americans. Just for starters, look at Amherst, Bowdoin, Hamilton, Middlebury, Williams. Smith (assuming you are female). There are many others.</p>

<p>Lastly, plan to submit a music performance supplement, even if you don’t intend to major in music. </p>