Where do I go from here?

<p>I'm a high school senior graduating this May. I'm completely lost as to what I want to do or even what schools I would want to attend. I'm great at history, social studies, and literature. Unfortunately I'm miserable at math. I made 91+ on all of my end of the course test excluding math and once in science.</p>

<p>I was the kid who sat and took no notes and jokes around and still passes with relative ease. I laughed my way to a 2.4 GPA. </p>

<p>History is easily my strongest subject. When most kids watched cartoons I watched documentaries. </p>

<p>I took the SAT a week ago and I'm worried about my math and a little about the rushed the essay but I'm more than content with the rest. (Will post scored within a week or two)</p>

<p>I'm passionate about film, writing, and technology. Mainly apps and games. (No I'm not the sad chump attending Full Sail) I like the idea of working in a creative field as I'm creative but I'm also contemplating something business related. My family owns multiple restaurants so maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea as my father never attended college and has become a successful entrepreneur. </p>

<p>My parents are keen on the idea of my attending a local college Valdosta State University that transfers to Georgia Tech after 2 years with engineering. I'm worried about the math I'm sure I could pass them but probably not with a A.</p>

<p>I'm basically looking for any advice or a way to maybe find a way to narrow down what I want to do. I will probably need a school in Georgia. Any ideas for a class clown looking to apply himself? If you read this thank you.</p>

<p>Things I've contemplated:
Film (probably not acting)
Computer Engineering (math sucks)
Interactive media
Business administration (family business)
Anthropology ( I'm worried about jobs)
Animation (I can't draw)
Journalism (Sports/Tech but once again work)
I'm open to any feedback</p>

<p>With an overall GPA of 2.4, it is almost certain that your best option is to start at a local community college and work on developing the study skills that you need to have in order to perform well in college. You can work on getting your grades up, and you can explore several options for your major during the time there. In two years or so when you are ready to transfer to a 4-year university, you will have a much better sense of what you want to do with your life. It really is OK to not know that right now.</p>

<p>If you are “miserable at math” (quoting yourself) in high school, it’s unlikely you’ll be able to handle an engineering major. What level math have you completed and with what grades, so far? As a bare minimum, you’d need to be able to expect a 600+ on the SAT Math and be in honors precalculus with at least a B+ to aim for an engineering major.</p>

<p>Since you’re not sure what major you’d want, apply as undecided. Take gen eds and see what you like best. Do your best, use all support services (they’re there for the express purpose of making sure students who want to succeed can succeed).</p>

<p>Apply to Valdosta, as undecided; you can also apply to Georgia College (no engineering though but fairly good system), Georgia Southern (although their 4-year graduation rate is very low due to bars facing the dorms so if you cant imagine avoiding temptation, skip GSU), Kennesaw.
You might also want to look into Coastal Carolina or UNC Raleigh.
Kids with good writing skills but poorer at math/science often find Guilford, in NC, an appropriately challenging and supportive school.
For creative students, Eckerd (FL) is a great choice although it depends what grades you have in English, History, Art, Social Studies and Humanities - what would your GPA be without math? Without math and science? Are you in College Prep or Honors classes?</p>

<p>if there’s any chance of finding a lot of high school classmates at Valdosta State, I’d hesitate to recommend going there. You’re comfortable being the clown. You don’t want to find yourself returning to that role at Valdosta or any community college where you’ll find a lot of high school mates. Just a caution that may not apply.</p>

<p>Without Math my GPA is only 2.83. Sadly 4/10 of my B’s are 88+ (My only F is in Spanish)I couldn’t get into Honors Lit or History/Economics due to not having a 3.0 GPA. I even had my Lit teacher go to the counselor and request to on avail. I scored A’s on all of my EOCT’s excluding math (C+). I’ve made B+ in every science class other than Chemistry (Those terrific math skills)</p>

<p>I’m looking at each of the colleges mentioned and will probably apply to most of them. Any further advice or help is welcome and I’m very thankful for. </p>

<p>You said you’re not that good in math - do you LIKE math? Many students who really like math but aren’t “naturals” can put in the time and be really good engineers or other things that require math. But if you don’t like math, majoring in engineering will be torture!</p>

<p>Also, do not overestimate the importance of major to job, if that makes sense. Obviously you need to major in engineering to be an engineer, but anthropologists’ unemployment rate is about the same as math, biology, physics, and computer science majors. What really helps students get jobs is not so much major as your skills and experiences - internships, part-time jobs, volunteering and student orgs. An anthropologist who knows how to code can be a software engineer! An anthropologist with a summer as a marketing intern can be a market research analyst running focus groups.</p>

<p>I think the best thing to do is to select a college based on other factors. Many Georgia state universities have a wide range of majors and there are a lot of good ones. With a 2.4 I agree that you may have to begin at a community college and transfer later, but there are some less competitive colleges - Middle Georgia State College (you could earn an associate’s there and transfer later, but they also have BS degrees), Bainbrudge State, Atlanta Metro, College of Coastal GA, Georgia Gwinnett College, Albany State, Armstrong Atlantic, North Georgia, Georgia Regents (used to be Augusta State), Georgia Southwestern. (Check out the University System of Georgia’s website for a list: <a href=“http://www.usg.edu/inst/”>http://www.usg.edu/inst/</a>).</p>

<p>Once you get there, you can pick a few majors in which you’re interested and take a class in each one of them, and see what you like.</p>

<p>I agree with the recommendation to perhaps begin at a CC in your area with a 2.4, and see if you can transfer after a year or two. Many community colleges have articulation agreements with our public unis. If you achieve a certain GPA after two years there, you get automatic admission to the uni.</p>

<p>I don’t want to say I hate math but I would have to completely engage myself and probably study a lot to maintain a B. Most of my logic and understanding is there. I leave the class knowing how to do what was shown that day but the next day I come in retaining only about half of it. (This is me showing up and doing some of the practice problems no studying) I left it out earlier but I’ve got Math 1-4.</p>

<p>I’ve looked hard at Wiregrass Technical College or College of Coastal GA. About the same price but I would have to live in the dorms at College of Coastal GA. I’m pretty sure CCG has some kind of agreement with SCAD like VSU has with Georgia Tech where you are automatically accepted with a certain GPA. I’d love to do Animation or Interactive Media at SCAD. (Pricey but I could probably swing it if I worked part-time for 2 years with my savings now) </p>

<p>I’ve been toying with the idea of Animating but I would love to learn code also and maybe minor in History or Writing? I want to take Drawing 101 to see if I can improve enough to satisfy myself to get into Animation or something related. I’m not sure but I don’t think Wiregrass has a class like that. </p>

<p>I’m currently looking and Requesting more information (For my parents they respond much better with a book/pamphlet than a computer screen) to each college mentioned. I cannot thank you guys enough for this free advice.</p>