Why are asians overrepresented at boarding school?

<p>Obviously I know why whites are over represented, but why are asians? Most of the asians I know have no intention of going or applying to boarding school.</p>

<p>The first/second generation Asians usually form very cohesive communities. (Remember that the majority of the stereotypes about asians stems from these groups.) As such, these communities are often rather homogeneous in their sets of beliefs, which include the perception that Boarding Schools will give their kids better chances at getting into an Ivy League school. Ask around.</p>

<p>Read the book Outliers.</p>

<p>Are you asking about domestic Asian students or international students? If you are asking about international Asian students, it's because the college admissions process in China and Korea are still very Draconian - if you don't test high in the national exams, you have no chance of getting into the most pretigious universities and degrees from lesser universities have less cache than an American university diploma. Korean parents who can afford it, will opt out of the high stakes Korean system and send their children to the US where there are more options. When you tour those campuses, you'll have no idea which of those students are domestic and which are international.</p>

<p>International students from Asia are the primary target market for many boarding schools due to the ability & willingness of many Asian families to pay full costs for their child as education is highly valued in most, if not all, Asian cultures and due to the abundance of well qualified students. Boarding schools conduct several informational recruiting tours throughout Asia each summer.</p>

<p>yeah i agree with Mainer95, read Outliers!!</p>

<p>Asian parents really do care about education a lot, and many of them will sacrifice some aspects of their lives just to provide the best education for their kids...</p>

<p>@Mainer95 I love that book!</p>

<p>From what I know, education is very valued in Asia (especially in Korea, where the majority of middle school students attend cram school until 9:30 at night), and many of the kids would be able and willing to attend a boarding school due to their previous encounters with such academically strenuous experiences. At least, that's my theory. But something that's popping into my head while I'm thinking about this - I wonder if they think the same things about American transfer students? O_O</p>