Why do typical asians get into good schools?

<p>my friend's school is getting like 5 or 6 asians into HYP every year and the problem is that they are all typical kids with high sat scores, some volunteering, and involved in math compeitions</p>

<p>i though ivies wanted diversity and people who weren't only buried in books??????</p>

<p>Perhaps these students aren't as "boring" as you think. I am assuming you are not close friends with any of these people as you're rather quick to degrade them. How can you be certain that they don't participate in truly outstanding endeavors outside of school, in their private lives? Maybe one of them founded a small company, maybe another has published a book on mathematics?</p>

<p>We all look rather ordinary on the outside, especially if we're humble enough not to boast loudly about our accomplishments. Few of my classmates would ever guess the hectic and eccentric professional lifestyle I engage in after school is over. </p>

<p>We are all far more than the "typical [insert ethnicity here]" we choose to present to the world.</p>

<p>Looking at your chance thread, you fit the "typical Asian" criteria fairly well...</p>

<p>Well, this post is a refreshing change of pace. Usually these posts are all about why `typical' Asian students don't get into the 'good' schools - to which the answer is invariably that there is a conspiracy to keep Asians out of these schools. I look forward to reading more responses to this thread!</p>

<p>I didn't know there was such a thing as a "typical" Asian to any greater degree than there is a typical human being. If there are specifics to discuss, it can be of interest to participants here on College Confidential to find out why a particular high school has students each year who get into Harvard, Yale, or Princeton (which surely doesn't happen at most high schools). I'll close this thread, with redirection to the main FAQ and discussion thread about the race and ethnicity issues, </p>

<p><a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-admissions/1228264-race-college-admission-faq-discussion-9-a.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-admissions/1228264-race-college-admission-faq-discussion-9-a.html&lt;/a> </p>

<p>and the suggestion that the specific college forums for each college of interest may have some description of what kind of high school programs are convincing preparation for the most selective colleges.</p>