Why not: Second round of chances

<p>White/not declaring race on applications
Northern Delawarian</p>

<p>SAT: M: 780/CR:800/W:730 (2310). Interestingly, I've heard from numerous deans that they're all but ignoring writing. Any confirmations?
US History:800
Bio E: 780
Math II: 760
Physics: 800</p>

<p>GPA: 4.0 weighted (out of a theoretical max of ~4.2), unweighted is around 3.9/4</p>

<p>AP US History: 5
AP Calc AB: 5
AP Environmental Science: 5
AP Biology: 5
AP Physics B: 5</p>

<p>6 APs this year (Physics C, Calc BC, English Lit, Macro/Micro econ, Chemistry)</p>

<p>Awards/Distinctions
Envirothon state awards (2nd, 3rd in state)
State science olympiad champions (11th), second place (9, 10), too many medals
NLE magna cum laude (2x)
1st, 3rd place national science olympiad medals (well, including a few fifths, and two ninths. Should I include those?)
National Merit Semifinalist
NHS member</p>

<p>ECs
Science Ambassadors (helping underprivilaged children learn about how to work together with people of different races and how to do science :))
11, 12.
Science Olympiad 9-12
Envirothon 9-12
Debate Club 9-10
Mock Trial 9</p>

<p>Volunteer:
150+ hours with the Delaware Nature Society teaching little kids about nature and various office stuff. </p>

<p>Work etc:
Checker, 10-20 hrs/wk</p>

<p>Applying to:
Amherst, Reed, Yale, UofChicago, UofVa, UofDe (honors), CalTech, U of Rochester, Pomona College.</p>

<p>Well, you obviously know you have good chances at all of these. The toughest to get into will be Yale, Amherst, and Pomona--but with good essays and recommendations these are all better than 50% chances for you. (Well, maybe Yale is 50-50)--although I presume you are applying ED there (unless they, like Harvard, are stopping ED applications).</p>

<p>"all but ignoring writing"</p>

<p>Reed's full expanation is at
<a href="http://web.reed.edu/apply/news_and_articles/sat_opinion.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://web.reed.edu/apply/news_and_articles/sat_opinion.html&lt;/a>
and the bottom line is that "Reed will take a cautious, evaluative, and, quite frankly, skeptical stance toward the new SAT." One big reason seems to be that "Reed students will almost never encounter an analogous exam in a Reed class." Reed says they "believe that good writing involves rewriting, something the SAT's 25-minute essay does not allow."</p>

<p>BavarianTractorWorks, your numbers are great for Reed, but essays weigh heavily; Reed is unusual, and fit is important.</p>

<p>That's exactly what I heard from the Reed dean, I just wasn't sure about the others.</p>

<p>Updated: </p>

<p>My GPA unweighted is a 3.8 / 4, all my B's in freshman year, my weighted GPA is a 4.008 (out of 4.2), and my average grade on the hundred point scale is unweighted 95/100, weighted 101.5/105. Ranked roughly 7 out of 200 at the best (public) school in the state. All classes either honors or AP. School does not rank, so I only show up in top 10 %. </p>

<p>The school feeds at least 6-8 per year to second-Ivys (Penn, Cornell) and 2-3 to ivys (yale, havard. Heh, last year a senior got into harvard ED, though he was a senator's son). Next to none to top liberal arts (which I'm applying to) because no one applies, a large number to elite engineering and science schools (at least 2 to MIT, 3 to Cal Tech).</p>

<p>The only thing I can think of to explain away freshman year (which was relatively abominable, 3.7 compared to my other 4.0 years) was that I was rather depressed. Not confirmed by a doctor or anything, and I wouldn't want to seem whiney, so should I just play the maturity card rather then delve into that nonsense?</p>

<p>I can't imagine that anyone at Reed will give a second thought to your freshman B's. Considering your other stats, those B's seem irrelevant and speak for themselves: Your capabilities showed up in 10th grade, and stayed with you. I wouldn't even mention it, at least in Reed's case. Maybe someone can comment re other schools.</p>