Why you DON't Want to Major at math at U of M

<p><a href="http://www.michigandaily.com/media/storage/paper851/news/2006/03/16/TheStatement/He.Came.Ted.Kaczynski.He.Left.The.Unabomber-1687959.shtml?norewrite200610201019&sourcedomain=www.michigandaily.com%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.michigandaily.com/media/storage/paper851/news/2006/03/16/TheStatement/He.Came.Ted.Kaczynski.He.Left.The.Unabomber-1687959.shtml?norewrite200610201019&sourcedomain=www.michigandaily.com&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>The letter really slams the U of M nath department.</p>

<p>I just found out the Dr. Jack Kavorkian (Doctor Death) was a grad of UM's med school....<em>shivers</em> haha</p>

<p>Don't forget about Richard A. Loeb of the infamous Leopold and Loeb murder case. He was the youngest graduate of Michigan.</p>

<p>It doesn't really say much about the math department other than that the professors he had were incompetent, or at least incompetent by his standards. And this was in 1965 or so, so it has like next to no relevance today.</p>

<p>uh and lets not forget that he was/is a NUTCASE</p>

<p>sorry, but this is a stupid thread.</p>

<p>yeah, the unabomber went to umich, then went on to berkeley. who cares. that is no reason not to major in math here at michigan.</p>

<p>Lol, I agree with forgiven but I did learn that some crazy people did go to Michigan.</p>

<p>Yes, let's not major in math here because some guy wrote bad things about the professors in the 1970s while beginnnig to suffer from dementia.</p>

<p>Dear god, he talks extensively about Duren teaching real analysis. I'm taking real analysis taught by Duren next semester. >.<</p>

<p>And FWIW, my teacher for differential geometry had every lecture, homework, and handout fully prepared the summer before. Keep in mind the handouts for two semesters ended up being in the ballpark of 700 pages because he thought the book wasn't rigorous enough. Suck it, Unabomber.</p>

<p>No, no...you guys didn't get it. The moral of the story is that if you are a real genius, you don't go to Harvard as they will turn you into a B- student.</p>

<p>Now, there's grade inflation, so you can still feel like a genius at Harvard these days.</p>

<p>I don't think it slams the Math department. I think it is pretty clear that no matter where he would have gone, Kaczinski would have been miserable and discontent. If he truly hated Michigan personally, he would not have dedicated the majority of his memoirs and letters to the University. He is a paranoid schizophernic who would have snapped regardless of where he was. What a waste of talent!</p>