Word limits are the bane of my existence!

<p>Yes. It's true. I HATE word limits. Since most of my colleges all have the same (or close to same) essay, I decided to sit down and write it the other day as it might be a good idea to to that sometime soon as most of my apps are due in December.</p>

<p>Anywho, I noticed that the word limit on most was 500. I am not a condense writer; in my junior year, I spent 14 hours writing a 16-page paper on a book I never even read and still managed an A+. When I was writing my essay, I just couldn't stop. I eventually hit 770 words. I revised it and rewrote parts of it to get it down to 624 and then re-revised it and it's now at 556. I have no idea how I'm going to cut out 56 words from my essay; it's harder than you think.</p>

<p>On a similar note, my essay is on the National Student Leadership Conference which I attended last summer. Is this an okay topic? I'm a pretty dull person so it was the only thing I could come up with :/. </p>

<p>If you made it through this post, please reply soon and thanks :). Peace out.</p>

<p>Have you checked for wordy sentences? Or needless words?</p>

<p>lol funny i had the same problem...i wrote an essay that was originally 776 words...but i did manage to get it down to 501! i was so proud =) lol</p>

<p>if you really can't cut, i don't think 56 words will kill you...on the topic of the essay, i heard that nslc is a bad thing to write about b/c it's something anyone with money can experience...i personally love the topic and am very willing to write an essay on nylf, a similar program...but, it's like everyone says...if you can write an outstanding essay on even the most mundane of topics, you're home free</p>

<p>Maybe I'm having a George Carlin moment, but really, do you ever hear the word "bane" without "of my existence" tacked on to the end?
I actually went over the word limit for the supplement short-answer of my first choice school by approximately 200 words. I am hoping that they assume this is just because there are too many reasons why I want to go to the school to fit the constraints...which is true.</p>