Worried About My Major?

<p>I am a junior mechanical engineer at Syracuse U. I am the first generation in my family to go to college. I had a rough first year, and was in a serious state of depression. Sophomore year I improved by a lot. But I am worried about my major. I originally wanted to study Film, or maybe even Creative Writing, but my parents told me it would be extremely difficult to make a living from those majors... And that there were low job prospects. My true passions as a high school student were film, automotive technology, and drumming (I am a drummer in a band, and this is my number one passion). So I went down my secondary passion - automotive studies. I had to convoke my parents that engineers do not become mechanics in most cases, because they believed they did (although I secretly hoped I would do some hands-on work at some point). They were also happy to see the expected salary. I chose mechanical engineering because supposedly these jobs lead to hands-on work... Turns out they do not, and a lot of these jobs are managing jobs. And the worst part is, this is one of the most difficult majors of all time in my opinion. I am very interested in film, archaeology and biology and would study these instead and pass with flying colors, but I am worried about job prospects. My number one passion right now, however, is drumming, so I would need time for myself after college to pursue this. I understand that most of my choices are practical, but I'm just doing my best to be as honest on this forum as possible.</p>

<p>What should I do? It is too late for me to make the switch to film.</p>

<p>So I'm not an expert, but it seems to me like this is a question better served for an advisor at your college. I'm not really sure how much someone on the internet will be able to help you because we really aren't familiar with your personal situation or Syracuse's policies.</p>