Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

I've applied to 5 colleges and have gotten into maybe three, what are my chances for Texas A&M /UT?

SnrGirl18SnrGirl18 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
I am a high school senior, female, Hispanic.

I have applied to:
Texas A&M-waiting, applied to Honors
UT Austin-waiting, applied to Honors
Baylor- I got the "we have a special message for you in GoBaylor" today but nothings showing up...i think im in
Texas Tech-accepted into university and Honors College,
Oklahoma State-accepted into university and Honors College

I have a 4.8 GPA weighted
my school does not rank outside of top 10%, the cutoff for first quarter is 4.82 so I am second quarter
I have a 29 ACT and 1320 SAT, I took these only once.

I need to know if I just need to commit to a university since Tech has opened housing and OSU is opening it Dec. 1st. What are my real unsugarcoated chances of getting into A&M and UT. Financially, OSU and Tech have offered me a little money. The former 11,000 a year for OOS and 8,000 for the latter for academic achievement.
and Baylor has given me 2,000 and a chance to get a full ride(chances are probably slim though).

Do I just need to commit or should I wait till the review admissions decisions in March? My first pick major is Microbiology and my second pick is Psychology.

Replies to: I've applied to 5 colleges and have gotten into maybe three, what are my chances for Texas A&M /UT?

• Thelma2Thelma2 Registered User Posts: 1,619 Senior Member
    UT is out.
    Of the applicants who were on this forum for class 2021, only 3 second quarter applicants, with SAT's at 1300, 1300, and 1320, received admission to College Station. Two were offered Blinn Team. only 2 who were second quarter offered PSA posted all of their stats.
    Majors do not factor into the admission decision.

You likely won't get an admissions decision until Mid February from A&M and the odds are it will be Blinn Team (which is a provisional pathway) or PSA. There will be no money offered to you to attend.

When you say OSU, I take it you mean OK State? Great school and the spirit and tradition is very much like TAMU but on a much smaller scale.
  • fivsmajorfivsmajor Registered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
    Which college is your top choice? And how much financial aid do you think you will receive? A&M is not known for being super generous with scholarships unless you are a national merit scholar or in the top of your class. I don't know much about UT's financial aid. With your stats, I think you have a decent chance at full admission to both UT and A&M.

Also, how important is being in the Honors program to you? From what I have read, most of A&M's spots go to auto/academic admits. You will most likely have to wait until the end of March to hear if you got accepted into honors or not. I did not apply to UT, so I am not sure if that is the case for them as well.

If you can, try visiting UT and A&M and see if you really want to go there. Check out their Microbiology and Psychology programs and see if they will be a good fit for you. That might help you decide whether to wait until March or commit to a different school instead.

I am currently going through the same thing. I have been accepted into three other schools and each of them have offered me considerable scholarship money. However, my heart is set on being an Aggie. I am OOS so I do not qualify for most of A&M's scholarships and I am not a national merit scholar, so hopefully my FAFSA will pull through otherwise I will not be able to afford it.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck and congratulations on your acceptances so far!
  • SnrGirl18SnrGirl18 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    edited November 2017
    I applied for Liberal Arts Psychology for UT and I heard it might...help. I am actually in interested in Psychology and it is my general second choice major for schools that do not have Microbiology.

I am currently in the process of touring and I will be able to solidify a top choice by Nov.28th after my UT tour.

For schools like A&M and UT I would not mind being without the Honors program. OSU's micro program has looked the best to me but Tech's honors program has looked the best so far. I have currently toured Tech and OSU and they both have undergraduate research opportunities that have been directly offered to me. I know at UT I will not get undergraduate research, and getting it at A&M will probably be difficult. Another factor that goes in is the size of classes, at Tech and OSU I would be in small ones...

Im in-state for Texas, OOS for OSU so OSU would be the most expensive...my parents have said that we could meet each other halfway for price so its not the biggest deal....i dont mind work/studying and working in the summer.
  • fivsmajorfivsmajor Registered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
    If you decide to pursue Microbiology, I would go with Tech or OSU since they have directly offered you research opportunities unless you want to chance it with A&M.

How do you feel about class size? I know A&M's average student teacher ratio is 1:21 (smaller than most of my high school classes). I know that several classes will be much larger, but this is the average.

Since you and your parents are both willing to work together to pay the tuition, I wouldn't stress to much about financial aid. Unless your heart is set on going to OSU, I would recommend staying in state because Texas tuition is relatively affordable (you guys are seriously so lucky, California tuition is so expensive!) Make sure you fill out FAFSA even if you don't think you qualify for much.
  • GrainraiserGrainraiser Registered User Posts: 426 Member
    Being outside the top 10% of your class pretty kills your chances at UT. The path to A&M is a little easier but not by much. A&M will not like offer you any merit money. I really don't know your financial situation so I would say Tech and OSU are your best bets unless you have some other schools on your list. OU, Arkansas and Ole Miss could be options since they recruit kids from Texas and they offer merit money.
  • SnrGirl18SnrGirl18 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    I got into UT Austin. Major and everything. OSU was calculated to be too expensive and it's a will they won't they with a full-tuition scholarship at Baylor.(I went to Invitation to Excellence) If I don't get the scholarship to Baylor I cant go, my parents have said. Still waiting on A&M. UT wants a decision by March 1st. Baylor tells me if I get the scholarship by March 1st. I've called A&M and they said they'd have their decisions by late Feb. Ahhhhh! I'd already given up on UT and made plans at Tech. Idk what to do.