Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Can I get into the Cockrell School of Engineering

worriedsenior21worriedsenior21 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
I'm a girl going into my senior year with a 28 ACT and 1360 SAT, a 5.2 weighted GPA and a 3.87 unweighted GPA. I am about 60/995 in my class. I have about 200 volunteer hours completed and more to come, and I am a Solidworks associate. I have gone to 2 engineering camps, and I am super interested in structural engineering! Like I realize my scores are quite a reach, but I have no clue what else to do if I have no chance of studying engineering at UT.

Replies to: Can I get into the Cockrell School of Engineering

• Thelma2Thelma2 Registered User Posts: 1,558 Senior Member
    @worriedsenior21

You have no clue what else to do if you have no chance of studying engineering at UT?

top 6% of 995 is 59.7. Being 60, you are not in the top 6% for the incoming class. That puts you out of auto admissions and into holistic review just for admissions to the university as well as holistic review for the major, and therefore, not likely to get into UT. If you somehow squeaked in for admissions, a 1360 is not competitive to be admitted to the major. Minimum math subscore is 620 to even be considered but those admitted are way above that. There are other components they will look at though regarding your demonstrated strength in math and science. Your volunteer hours, while good, will not make up for what you lack in merit credentials.

I know of a student personally who was National Merit commended just out of top %, with an engineering internship at a government contracted aerospace company, earned being 1 of 13 chosen from a pool of 200 applicants invited to apply, who did not get into Cockrell. Now a rising Jr at A&M.

Getting into UT engineering is one thing. Staying in is altogether another. It is competitive and a lot are weeded out who are not strong in math and science. The same is true for A&M.

If you do not get in to UT engineering, your life is not over and there are many other engineering universities in the state of Texas. Look into those as a back up.

Also, you will get no money from A&M or UT to attend other than loans, so make sure you apply to schools that not only you can gain admissions but can also afford. Many a student, after being accepted to the most competitive universities in the state, are disappointed come spring when they realize they have no way to pay to attend. Your stats are not high enough for merit aid and they don't give out a lot anyway. They don't have to to attract strong applicants.

UT Arlington and UT Dallas offer scholarship aid and much can be found on their websites.
  • carachel2carachel2 Registered User Posts: 2,850 Senior Member
    edited June 23
    First of all, you sound like a great student and a self-motivated learner. It's unfortunate for you that the Texas rank game and system is the way it is. But it is what it is so let's move on with the facts: your rank puts you on the very edge of admission. A stronger test score might scoot you closer towards the edge you want.

My student just finished her freshman year so I've lost track of test dates but is there any way you can take the SAT or ACT again? With DAILY practice you can get those scores up. You need at least a 30 to be more in the running.

I know of a top 4% kid with a very prestigious internship for a huge government defense company who was admitted to UT but denied admission to engineering because of his 28 or 29 ACT. They are looking for kids who can handle the rigor for sure. This student is doing really well at a UT regional branch school.

I 100% agree with @Thelma2 ---you need solid back up plans. Texas Tech, University of Houston, UT Arlington, UT Dallas are all solid schools. Are they your first choice? Maybe not. Can you make a CHOICE to go there and be happy and make the best of it and dig in and create opportunities for yourself? Absolutely. Will you graduate with an engineering degree just like from UT? Yep.

• zakenmaruzakenmaru Registered User Posts: 15 Junior Member
    UT is EXTREMELY competitive, especially for engineering.. It's a nationally ranked program, and I know many people who applied for engineering, but didn't get accepted despite having near perfect SATs/ACTs. They're doing fine at TAMU/UTD.

You have great academics, and a lot of potential, but I recommend you work on improving your SAT; people who get into engineering at UT have an incredibly high SAT, and UT doesn't superscore. The course is also rigorous; my oldest friend has been hooked on becoming an engineer his whole life and can fix nearly everything; he says that the UT engineering track is the hardest thing that he's ever done.

If you don't get UT, UTD, UT Arlington, TAMU you get auto admission too, and UTD is projected to grow as big as UT right now in just a few decades because its engineering is easier to get into. I recommend looking into that. Plus, if you improve your SAT, with your current academics combined you'd be guaranteed full ride!

Good luck!
  • zakenmaruzakenmaru Registered User Posts: 15 Junior Member
    edited September 6
    Sorry, posted twice!