Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

So... apparently changing majors can get me "dismissed" from A&M

123abc456123abc456 Registered User Posts: 515 Member
edited August 2012 in Texas A&M University
I was a BIMS major coming into A&M. Was BIMS for my freshman and sophomore year. At the end of my 2nd year, I didn't make the GPR requirements, so I got kicked out and switched to Bioenvironmental Sciences. For the past few days, I've been e-mailing my adviser and I told him that I was going to try to switch back into BIMS, upon which he said that I can risk getting dismissed from the university.

Is this true? Anyone want/like to divulge more info. on this matter? Can someone post a link to A&M's official site stating their rules/regulations regarding the changing of majors?
Post edited by 123abc456 on

Replies to: So... apparently changing majors can get me "dismissed" from A&M

• SimpleLifeSimpleLife Registered User Posts: 2,370 Senior Member
    123abc456, I can't see why your advisor would give you bad advice. What's in it for him/her? It is typically wise to follow your advisor's advice. But then, I'm a parent. We tend to think that way. ;)

You're not risking dismissal simply because you're changing majors. Changing majors doesn't get a student dismissed. From what I can tell, based on the little bit you’ve shared, you're risking dismissal because your academic record is not up to par for enrollment in upper-level BIMS courses. I'm guessing.

Students requesting a change of major into BIMS must fulfill two criteria. 1) Complete the BIMS CBK courses with a grade of C or better in each course taken at A&M, and while attempting each course no more than twice. And 2) A minimum of 55 completed semester hours with a cumulative resident GPR of 2.5 or better.

THEN, any BIMS student admitted to upper-level BIMS courses who then falls below the 2.5 GPR requirement will not be considered in good academic standing in their major and will be placed on college probation.

And THAT'S why you would risk dismissal from A&M. Not because you're changing majors, but, presumably, because your academic standing may not hold up to the academic standards of the BIMS program.

Then, from TAMU's Student Rules,

12.2 In the event an undergraduate student becomes scholastically deficient, he or she may, after review by his or her academic Dean or designee, be:
    12.2.1 Suspended from the university—for deficient scholarship; or
    12.2.2 Permitted to continue in school on scholastic probation; or
    12.2.3 Warned of scholastic deficiency; or
    12.2.4 Blocked from continued enrollment in his or her college or major.

I'm not sure what your grades currently are, but your advisor may think that they're too low right now or that they'll be too low shortly after you are re-enrolled in the BIMS program, assuming that they would permit re-admission.

If you've already attempted a few BIMS CBK courses twice, then you will have 1 more time to attempt those same courses. ... Or you'll once again find yourself academically deficient.

I am guessing that your advisor thinks you're playing with fire -- that you'll not be able to maintain the grades you need for success, and possibly that the BIMS Dean won't be lenient with a re-admit who falls back into academic deficiency. But that's just a guess.

Here are some links:

Texas A&M University 09-10 Undergraduate Catalog

12. Scholastic Deficiency/Probation | Student Rules
  • 123abc456123abc456 Registered User Posts: 515 Member
    Great answer. Thank you very much.
  • SimpleLifeSimpleLife Registered User Posts: 2,370 Senior Member
    You're welcome. :) I hope that you find contentment in whichever major you end up. There IS life outside of BIMS! It's okay. ;)
This discussion has been closed.