Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Question about CAP and Texas A&M

Aznpower123Aznpower123 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
edited December 2012 in Texas A&M University
I'm sure all of you are familiar with the question "should I take CAP and go into UT or should I go into Texas A&M?". My question, however, varies somewhat from that and it's slightly more complicated.

I'm actually in UTSA right now for CAP, and I'm pretty confident that I can pull off straight A's this semester and next semester. The one thing that worries me is whether I should take the sure path to UT or if I should go to Texas A&M. I'm sure you're wondering why the hell would I go to Texas A&M, but that's not really relevant to my question.

The thing I'm truly pondering about is the question whether or not I can apply to transfer into Texas A&M. There is also the question of whether or not my credits will transfer with me. (Mind you, I am forced to take beginning level classes).

Another question is, for economics, does it really matter which school I go to? I want to apply for graduate school after college (Either right after or after I get work experience), and I'm not sure if that would affect the decision whether or not I'm accepted. I also wonder if going to UT would enhance my chances of getting hired.
Post edited by Aznpower123 on

Replies to: Question about CAP and Texas A&M

• cromettecromette Registered User Posts: 2,614 Senior Member
    Wondering why you would come on an A&M board and suggest that going to A&M is a decision subpar to that of going to UT?
  • Nicoleg13Nicoleg13 Registered User Posts: 91 Junior Member
    ^I was thinking the same thing...
  • Aznpower123Aznpower123 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Huh? I never implied that. I'm on here, because I want to go to Texas A&M and I think it's just as good as UT. I apologize. I can see why you would think that from what I wrote earlier.

Anyways, I originally wanted to go to UT because Economics is better overall there, rank-wise, but I like the A&M better as a whole (Which is why I'm asking this question). I just figured people would be wondering why I would suddenly decide to go to Texas A&M if I was at UTSA, doing CAP. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
  • Nicoleg13Nicoleg13 Registered User Posts: 91 Junior Member
    We are all Aggies here, none of us would ever question why you would make the decision to go to A&M lol. But sorry I can't help you, I don't know enough about the CAP program.
  • cromettecromette Registered User Posts: 2,614 Senior Member
    OK, glad we got that out of the way. :)

First the decision on which school is really just going to come down to which you prefer, which school "feels" right, because that's where the biggest difference is.

They’re ranked pretty closely. I believe that, in general, there isn’t anything you can do with an economics degree from UT that you can’t do with one from TAMU.

US news and World Report has UT’s grad school for economics ranked #25, and TAMU ranked #42. Both are very respectable. I know that my company hires from both schools and holds both in esteem.

As far as what transfers – you just have to check. Here is the transfer equivalency page for TAMU from UTSA.

https://compass-ssb.tamu.edu/pls/PROD/bwxkwtes.P_TransEquivMain?te_type=inst

And the requirement for transfer page:

Ways to be Admitted

I would think if you have a for sure thing with CAP, the transfer to TAMU might be slightly more cumbersome. But if you like TAMU and really want to go there, I would call your intended school and talk to someone.
This discussion has been closed.