Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Laptop or PC for Visualization?

jc1354jc1354 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
Hi, I got accepted into Texas A&M's Visualization program as a future undergrad, and I was wondering whether I should get a laptop or PC for college? I know that I need a powerful computer, but i'm not sure what I need exactly. On the laptop requirements for the Visualization major (I'm not sure how outdated this is though), it first suggests laptops, but also points out the benefits of getting a permanent work station outside of class, as PC's have greater power and capabilities.

I currently have an Acer Aspire E5-575-5493 15.6 Laptop, which doesn't have the graphics card I need for this program. It's fairly new, as I got it last year, however I don't think it will be enough to get me through my more specialized classes. Does the Visualization major need the students to bring a laptop to their classes (for example, if there are not enough computers for everyone in the lab) or any work that requires portability (therefore needing to get a more powerful laptop)? Or can I just stick with my current laptop for lighter coursework (e.g. essays, internet, etc) and get a PC to work from my dorm? Or should I just wait until sophomore year to get a more powerful computer suited to my later coursework?
Thanks for reading this question.

Replies to: Laptop or PC for Visualization?

• TXRoosterTXRooster Registered User Posts: 73 Junior Member
    There are some laptops that would be able to handle high graphics and CP U loads. Look into the the Dell XPS 15 if you like Windows or the Macbook Pro 15 is you prefer iOS. Both of those systems can handle a lot, although they are not cheap! I would think that a laptop would be better, but maybe you could ask at your NSC?
  • jc1354jc1354 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    @TXRooster thanks so much for replying to this question! I think I'll get a laptop, as another person attending a&m's architecture program that i know also advised me to get a powerful laptop. I'll look at the XPS 15 and see if that's the computer I need. Thank you again.
  • rahgax2rahgax2 Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    edited April 2017
    Can't speak to the program, just computer hardware - If you can't afford a laptop with one of the 3 most recent generations of Nvidia or AMD's graphics platforms, then just use your current laptop for officework and invest in a simple workstation with a decent graphics card for production - it doesn't take a lot of money these days. I'd say odds of you needing either during a freshman year are slim to none.

Even modern laptops with small processes are power hungry and easily stressed when put to work. Also, a $400 laptop will act like a $400 laptop, no matter how old it is.
This discussion has been closed.